Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice to Piran, Slovenia by boat-can someone give me some details?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Ted

It's my understanding that you can take a catamaran, etc. from Venice to Piran, however, I can't substantiate it on the net re: prices, times, departure point, etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:58 PM
aunt grapes

Yes, there is "cat" service but I can't give you much info. We didn't take it but our friends did. Check the Slovenia Tourist Board site. Enjoy

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Steve James

Hello Ted,<BR><BR>I can't find a service to Piran, - but there is one to Porec if that's any use?<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:41 AM
gill

there is a catamaran called the 'prince of Venice' which sails from Piran to venice but it doesn't go every day. Actually it goes from Izola but a free bus shuttles back and forth to Piran. The Catamaran leaves at 8:30 in the morning and from Piran. Don't know what time it leaves venice. try looking it up in a search engine or try and find the 'Kompass' site (slovenian travel site) they will send you info. It is possible to book and pay ahead and just pick up tickets. I know all this as we have just returned from Piran. It was $60 return I think and it is also possible to get a single.<BR><BR>Any more questions please ask away!<BR><BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Ted

Hi Gill,<BR>We'll be coming from Venice. I looked at the site for the prince of Venice and there was no mention of the shuttle to Piran. Is that a seperate service? Do you have an opinion on Izola? The guidebooks don't seem to like it much. The "Prince" arrives in Izola at 7:30 pm and I was thinking of just spending the night in Izola, however, if there is a shuttle service to Piran that would be preferred. Any details you have on that would be appreciated.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:14 PM
nina

Steve: Do you have any more information about the ferry from Porec? Any idea how long it takes to get to Venice?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nina

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Steve James

Hello Nina,<BR><BR>It's a hydrofoil service and takes 2.5 hours. It currently runs 3 days per week from Porec - Tues (10.00), Wed (08.00) & Fri (08.00), - but times could change during the season.<BR><BR>Steve<BR>