venice to croatia

Search

venice to croatia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venice to croatia

my wife and i are planning a trip to croatia in sept. for about 17 days. We are going to venice first, but would like to know about ferry service from venice to croatia or would bari be better to eventually get to dubrovnik. thanks.
nick
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM

Nick,
I did that last summer---started in Venice then took the train to Ancona for an overnight and took the fast day ferry over to Split. You could also do an overnight ferry from there. If you decide to stay there, i have a hotel and terrifc seafood restaurant to recommend.

The train from Venice to Ancona is close to 4 hours but there is a direct one with no stop/change that is about 3o minutes less.

The day ferry may not be an option, depending how late in Sept you are going since it is only during high season....Kathy
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

kathy,
thanks for the information.
nick
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM

From Venezia, there are fast craft to Istria (www.venezialines.com).
There are ferries (mostly overnight) from Ancona, Pescara and Bari to various Croatian ports:
www.blueline-ferries.com;
www.jadrolinija.hr;
www.azzurraline.com.
There are also fast ferries from Ancona and Pescara in the peak summer (www.snav.it).
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Nick,

A couple of points..first, at some point in mid-September the ferry schedule changes dramatically - the fast day ferries generally stop for the season. Second, if you are not interested in visiting Istria or Split and want to get to Dubrovnik, then Ancona to Bari is your best bet. There is a ferry that travels between Rijeka and Dubrovnik, but it stops at many points along the Adriatic and takes a very long time [although this is exactly what many are seeking ]

Me? Personally, I would see Venice, then Istria for several days, then travel down the coastline, not spending more than a few days in Dubrovnik and making sure to take in the Bay of Kotor before ending the trip.

I'll confess my bias - 7 years ago, I drove from Italy and Venice through Istria and down the entire Adriatic coastline. As I was traversing Istria, I fell in love with a small hilltop village at first sight. Two years later I bought a house in the same village.

September is a nice time to visit the entire area - Venice all the way down to the Boka - so enjoy.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

thanks uaz04,
I had posted on the italy site about driving from venice up to trieste and then into croatia, but no responses thus far. I would be interested on any information you could give us about driving. We would like to fly into venice and then make our way to croatia. we had been there in 1975 taking a bus from greece over the macedonia mountains to dubrovnik. Would like to revisit the area and possibly go to budva in montenegro. any information would certainly be helpful. thanks.
nick
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:42 AM

We have driven from Venice to Trieste and then to Opatija, it took 3 hours but we are not fast drivers. You may get pockets of heavy traffic but god to take your time.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks DansDelight.
Nick
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 04:31 AM

Marijana and I drive quite often from Istria to Venice/Padova/Vicenza. I'm not a slow driver, and it takes me around 1.5 hours from my home in Istria [12 miles from Trieste] to Venice area. Consider this a minimum since, in addition to driving fairly fast, I navigate around the Trieste construction areas and I know to avoid the MESS of Venice/Mestre traffic at rush hours. If 1.5 is minimum, then 3 is maximum. If you skip Istria [but DON'T] and head straight from Trieste towards Rijeka and the Dalmatian coast, you can reach Rijeka in the same time frame.
If you want tips about Istria [which extends from Italy [Trieste] through part of Slovenia [Koper, Portoroz, Piran] and into Croatia down to Pula and across to Ucka Mtn [overlooking Opatija and Rijeka] -
I'll be more than happy to provide my personal favorites. Same goes for the rest of Croatia and Montenegro.
Bosnia also has a bit of Adriatic coastline, which you will pass through along the way without really taking note. However, Mostar and Trebinje are worth a visit.
If you like to drive, then you might love this trip [since in September the tourist crush has mostly passed]. Would you have to return the car in Venice? If so, I'd make the journey down by car, then overnight ferry from Bar, Montenegro to Ancona, Italy and return in Venice...or vice versa [you can decide based on the immediate weather forecast]. I've done exactly this Adriatic loop several times when I was working in Kosovo.
The car ferries from Bar to Ancona are much newer, cleaner and more accommodating than those between Bar and Bari, so you can eat well enough and take a nice cabin.
Much has changed since 1975; you'll be shocked, amazed, and maybe sometimes a little disappointed with the new construction boom.
But it is still a paradise.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 05:28 AM

The ferry from Bar to Ancona is run by Montenegro Lines (www.montenegrolines.net). They have two ships, the SVETI STEFAN and the much bigger and better SVETI STEFAN II. Both ships operate in summer on the Bar-Bari route and the SVETI STEFAN II does two trips a week in peak season between Bar and Ancona.
I sailed from Bar to Bari in the SVETI STEFAN on 27 December, the day after St Stephen's day (Sveti Stefan is St Stephen). I had one of the best cabins on the ship and had a good dinner with Montenegrin wine in the restaurant.
In summer, there are also sailings between Kotor and Bari (www.azzurraline.com). That would be worth a try just for the scenery on the approach to Kotor.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GeoffHamer and uaz04. I have a tentative plan. Any ideas on changes, accomodations, and resturants would be greatly appreciated.
We'll fly into Venice Sept. 13. Rent a car on the 15th and drive up to Trieste and base ourselves in Rovinj through the 18th to explore Istria. Go to the island of Rab on the 19th. Then onto zadar for the 20-21st. Base ourselves in Split for 3 days, possibly a trip to Havar. Then on to Dubrovnik from the 25-28 to explore Mostar, Budva, etc. This is the part I'm not sure of. Either going back to Venice with or without car, and/or going to Zagreb and flying back to Boston from there. Any ideas would be welcome. thanks. Nick
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

hi uazo4,
we would certainly be interested in any information on Istria, the rest of Croatia, and Montenegro. thanks.nick