Reload this Page >

Venice to Croatia

Search

Venice to Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Statia

Venice to Croatia

Has anyone made this drive? What other routes are there, from point to point, besides via car. Ferry? Train?<BR><BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Ben Haines

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas s Cook European Timetable. Table 93 shows that a night train with sleepers and couchettes leaves Venice S Lucia at 2119 and Venice Mestre at 2129 and reaches Zagreb at 0540. <BR>A morning train with restaurant car leaves Venice S Lucia at 0813 and Venice Mestre at 0823 and reaches Ljubljana at 1346. You leave there at 1410 and reach Zagreb at 1634.<BR>An afternoon connection reads Venice S Lucia 1501, Mestre 1511, Trieste Central 1707 to 1730, bus, Vila Opicina 1800 to 1810, train, Ljubljana 2015 to 2105, Zagreb 0012.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:12 AM
jack

I havnt been to Coatia but last MaYwe drove from Vienna to Slovenia and then to Venice.Croatia is a short distance south of Slovenia.By the way slovanis is a beautiful country,inexpensive and very friendly to visitors.The distance from slovenia to venice is only a few hours on good roads.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Statia

Ben &amp; Jack:<BR><BR>Thanks so much for your replies. I also found on a previous thread that there is a catamaran cruise that goes between the two, but it only operates twice per week.<BR><BR>We are just trying to decide what's the best route to take (car, train or ferry) for a very short trip side trip to visit friends who live there.<BR><BR>Anyone else with suggestions?<BR><BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Pat

Hi, Not sure where in Croatia you wish to drive to. Did a coach trip from Pula (Istria) to Venice and back in a day, from memory the roads are very good. Last year in June we drove from Bled in Slovenia to Rijeka then down the coast road to Podgora (an hour south of Split). The road is only two lanes, sea one side, mountains the other, it twists and turns a fair bit but the scenery is magnificent, well worth the effort. We did the trip with a one night stop just north of Zadar. Hope this helps.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Tim

Venice - Croatia<BR><BR>You might check this out:<BR><BR>http://www.favret.it/eng/hydro.htm<BR><BR>

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Statia

Pat &amp; Tim,<BR><BR>Thanks for the replies. The drive does sound very nice, so that an option now that we know the roads are good.<BR><BR>I have also looked into Prince of Venice catamaran cruise before, but the vessel only seems to make the trip twice per week and we prefer a two day stay in Croatia. However, the URL you gave, Tim, allowed me to email a request for info, which I did.<BR><BR>So, looks like it will be either drive or cross by ferry. Thanks for the replies everyone.<BR><BR>I still welcome any other suggestions or info, as well.