Search

Venice Sinking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Art

Venice Sinking

Did any of you see the show on Venice on 60 min last night on the Discovery Channel? It was quite interesting and shows bureaucracy at its worst. It looks as though the Italian government will wait until its to late. <BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:59 AM
mikey

Also saw the show. Going to Venice in March. I was wondering if Venice is having problems as we type?

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi Art <BR> <BR>Do you know if this will air again? <BR> <BR>How sad. What sort of things were they trying to figure out to fix the problem? <BR> <BR>thanks

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 08:21 AM
joy laking

hi Art: <BR>I was in Venice last March and water levels were perfect. It was the highlight of our trip to Italy! Enjoy

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 11:18 AM
howard

To answer Beth, it probably will be shown again. It was originally broadcast either in 1999 or 2000 on PBS, I believe.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 11:55 AM
pam

here's the URL for the story <BR> <BR>http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1...9-412,00.shtml

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 12:05 PM
stacey

Great show. After watching it, my husband FINALLY thinks he wants to travel with me! <BR> <BR>Looks like Moses would work if the tree-huggers would give their "blessing".

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Paulo

I haven't seen (at least I think so) this specific show here in Brazil Art, so I can't comment. But I've seen quite a few tv "shows" on Venice and just about all of them had a certain degree of "bias". Venice's problems don't only concern the Italian or local government. It concerns the human heritage. It's quite easy to have a critical posture specially when one doesn't share the costs involved ... <BR> <BR>There are a number of International organizations that are contributing $ to attack many of Venice's problems. I can hardly believe that these organizations don't control the money they're spending! <BR> <BR>In my view, there's an additional problem. As with the Pisa tower issue, there certainly is not an unique technical solution for the problem(s) and the technical/scientific community doesn't unanimously support this or that method of attacking problems. There are many interests involved (including pride/jealousy of groups that support different solutions). Whose in charge is in a very delicate position and things go forward much slower than they should. <BR> <BR>You may wish to read the content of the site below (and all its links) and compare it with what you learned from the show ... and take your own conclusions. <BR> <BR>http://www.salve.it/uk/attivita/OPER...ES/FINTRO.html <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Beth Anderson

thoroughly depressing end to the story (not that the beginning and middle are all that promising - they predict the end of Venice within THIS century. That makes me want to cry. <BR> <BR> <BR>************* <BR> <BR>While the politicians argue, the waters become more ominous at the lagoon's entrance. The gondoliers have trouble navigating under the city's bridges; no one lives on the ground floor anymore. <BR> <BR>The city's population is less than half of what it was 50 years ago; the average age is rising with the tides. The death of Venice is happening before our eyes. Only the tourists keep the place afloat. <BR> <BR>© MMI Viacom Internet Services Inc. All Rights Reserved. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Beth Anderson

sorry - the above story was the cbsnews one - not Paulo's. I'll read that next...

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Optimist

It's not that Venice is sinking, it's that the Italians are getting taller.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Gina

Beth, that really does make me sad. I just try to keep telling myself that people have been predicting the demise of Venice for centuries and she's always managed to prove them wrong; let's all hope that she keeps doing so.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Art

According to the show, they have retuild Venice higher brick by brick in the past, but can no longer keep up with it. I love that city and hope to see it again on one of my trips. I really hope that they find a solution that will work wheather Moses will or not I don't know yet. <BR>