Reload this Page >

Venice seafood suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Matt

Going to Venice in 2 weeks without our kids (first time without the kids in 3 years), so we can actually sit down at a nice restaurant and eat in peace. I heard that the seafood in Venice is very good. Could you give me a suggestion or two on a particularly good dish to try? Or a good restaurant to eat at?

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Julie

I enjoyed the coda di raspo, which is monkfish. Most all of the seafood dishes in the nicer restaurants are of international quality. If you're not a truly adventuresome eater you might want to steer clear of the squid in its own ink--the ink is black and thickened slightly to be a sauce for linguine or tagliatelle. I am a pretty adventuresome eater and have to admit to having trouble getting that one down.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Wayne

You must go to Fiaschetteria Toscana, which is simply the best seafood restaurant in Venice---and not overpriced compared to the other top restaurants.. And as for what to eat, be sure to eat the scampi (which are basically salt-water crawfish, not shrimp) in any form; I like a scampi risotto best of all.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:06 AM
wendy

I highly recommend Da Fiore, it was the best dining experience I had in Venice, and now I make a pilgrimage whenever I am there. Top notch dining on the canal, off of a quiet little piazza.<BR><BR>There are several great posts about it if you pull up Da Fiore in Venice...there are many fish dishes, but the heads on fish/shrimp/squid can sometimes put people at ill ease...<BR><BR>If you can't pull anything up just let me know and I'll forward all my contacts for them for you.<BR><BR>Buon appetito~<BR><BR>Wendy

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 09:59 AM
dean

I'll second the reccomendation of Fiaschetteria Toscana. It is simply one fo the best three seafood restaurants I have ever been to and I have been in the food industry (retail, wholesale and restaurant) for over 25 years. Roberto is our regular waiter there. The seafood is heavenly and the cheese course even better. The wine list is superb and the staff will give you great reccomendations on the wine without ripping you off. The staff will also make very strong recomendations on how to eat there and you should follow them.<BR><BR>Also, go to Da Pinto just across Campo della Beccarie from the Pescheria Rialto for a great inexpensive seafood meal. Dirt cheap for the quality. Don't eat the pizza, stick to the Chichetti and grilled fish.<BR><BR>Finally, go to our 2 favorite bacari: Do Mori and Achiuguette. These are wine bars with a wide assortment of cichetti or small plates of food. You just point to what looks good. They both offer very good wines byt he glass. At Do Mori I am usually tempted more by the local wines than the big name stuff. At Achiuguette I go for the national wines rather than local.