Reload this Page >

VENICE RESTAURANTS

Search

VENICE RESTAURANTS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 02:09 PM
Richard

VENICE RESTAURANTS

Can anyone reccommend good inexpensive to moderate restaurants in Venice?

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 03:06 PM
J. Morton

Richard, my recent experience at restaurants at moderate prices was the food was good but not wonderful. We had the most interesting meals at Taverna a la Fenice (next door to Hotel Fenice), at the Bar al Theatro (close to the La Fenice, which is being rebuilt), and a wonderful lunch at Trattoria de St. Toma on the calle between the vaporetto stop at St. Toma and the Franciscan church -- the bread, among other things, was extraordinary. My theory is that the most interesting places are off the beaten track.

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 03:08 PM
J. Morton

Richard, my recent experience at restaurants at moderate prices was the food was good but not wonderful. We had the most interesting meals at Taverna a la Fenice (next door to Hotel Fenice), at the Bar al Theatro (close to La Fenice, which is being rebuilt), and a wonderful lunch at Trattoria de St. Toma on the calle between the vaporetto stop at St. Toma and the Franciscan church -- the bread, among other things, was extraordinary. My theory is that the most interesting places are off the beaten track.

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 03:17 PM
Sally

Vino, Vino is a wonderful wine bar between the Fenice and the American Express. It is very informal; you go in, choose your food from the counter and then sit at a table with whoever else is already there. The food is delicious, inexpensive and the company is always interesting, <BR> a mixture of locals and tourists. <BR>Also be sure to go to Trattoria Alla Rivetta, back behind San Marco on salizzada San Provolo off Campo SS. Filippo and Giacomo. The food is wonderful and not too expensive. It has a very lively atmosphere.

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 06:01 PM
Richard

yum

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 11:53 PM
francesac

We found the best restaurants in the Castello district, which is off the beaten path, as it were. Corta Sconte is especially good, but you have to reserve or go early/late.

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 12:14 AM
Denise

A local's bar with good and cheap pasta - Tiziano Bar (opposite Church Cristostomo) SalSG. Crisostomo. Not far from Rialto bridge. Wish I could remember the name of the restaurant we had a meal in, momma yells in Italian what is available, you select, you get something else, you don't know if you have got the last course or what comes next, ask for bill, it is scribbled on tablecloth. Did we laugh when we left the restaurant? Part of our good memories. Enjoy. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 02:57 AM
Jay Frank

Believe it or not: Gam Gam, located in the Jewish ghetto district just a few steps from the Vaporetto sttop, and the only kosher restaurant in Venice. We stumbled across it during one of our successful efforts to get lost in Venice. <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 03:52 AM
Monica

This is a portion of my notes at this web site from my May 1998 trip to Italy: VENICE: "Taverna San Trovaso" Dorsoduro, 1016, (ponte dell'Accademia, tele: 041-520-3703. "Trattoria Ai Cugnai" S. Vio Accademia N857, tele: 528-9238; another recommendation from Cheap Eats. Best meal we had in Venice. "Omnibus a Terrasse" S. Marco, Riva del Carbon 4171, tele: 041-52-37-213. On the Grand Canal near the Rialto bridge. Had the 'tourist' menu, which was pretty good. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 04:07 AM
elaine

As much as I love Venice I have to admit that in general the food is not as good <BR>as it is in most other places in Italy, and there are fewer bargains. I second the nomination for Tratorria San Toma. <BR>You can order anything from pizza to more elaborate food, the food is quite good, prices inexpensive to moderate. In good weather you can dine in the garden. The place is a 3 minute walk from the San Toma <BR>vaporetto stop in Campo San Toma. <BR>I also like Da Rafaelle which is on a small canal just off the Ponte Ostriche <BR>about 10 minutes from San Marco or 5-7 minutes from the Accademia bridge. <BR>They don't frown if you just order an appetizer and a pasta, they have good fish dishes, and prices are moderate for Venice, about the equivalent of $25-$40 pp depending on what you order. The great advantage is being able to dine canalside. <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 02:27 PM
Barbara

Richard, I'm putting in a second recommendation for Trattoria Ai Cugni. When we were in Venice in October last year, it poured rain, and the streets were flooded. The two sisters who run the place were wonderfully welcoming, made us feel like part of the family, and the food was fabulous. We had an appetizer of spider crab in the shell that I still dream about it. Very down home, and one of my favorite memories of our trip. <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 03:15 PM
Monica

Hello Barbara, it's always nice to read another posting after I have recommended a place. Weren't those sisters great! We had exceptional service and we enjoyed their food! Their homemade pasta was wonderful! <BR> <BR>Richard, I meant to add in my first posting that my husband and I averaged around $45 for a complete meal and wine.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 08:34 AM
Richard

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 11:18 AM
Alison

One of my favorite restaurants is an out-of-the-way place in the Santa Croce region called La Zucca, not far from the church of San Giacomo dell'Orio. It's small (six or eight tables inside and a few more outside) but the food is great. Not cheap but not outrageous either--certainly cheaper than Corte Sconta.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 02:51 PM
Richard

any more?

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 05:28 PM
Paula

Richard-I love looking for good, inexpensive meals. We ate a great one in Castello at Trattoria Tofanelli on rio Garibaldi, near the water. Don't be fooled by the owner, wearing bedroom slippers, or her dog out front. She makes a mean bigoli. There was no cover and the service was included. We even saved on the water (tap-out of the pitcher). Check out "Cheap Eats Italy" because that book never left my backpack and we ate very well. I hate restaurants that are tourist traps. Good luck.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 08:14 PM
Paulo

Are you readdy to do something different, Richard? How about an evening bacari tour (or, like the Venetians say, "andare a ombra e cicheti")? <BR> <BR>Bacari, in the Veneto dialect, is a tavern. The most traditional ones are small, with a counter and a few tables, where you can eat "cicheti" (small dishes of appetizers) and sip "ombra" (a small glass of wine). Usually they also offer a limited choice of full course meals. <BR> <BR>Take the vaporetto (#23 or #52/) to the Celestia stop. Take the calle (Segredo), perpendicular to the shore, straight to its end and turn left (Cimitero) into Campo di Celestia. Leave the Campo on the far side (Fondamenta del Cristo) and <BR>cross the bridge into Campo Santa Ternita, following Calle del Campanile into Calle dell'Olio. Close to the end of the street, at #3169 is your first stop, ae do Marie. <BR> Do Marie (open from 6am to 1:30pm, 2:30pm to 9pm, closed Saturday afternoon and Sunday) is one of the most traditional osterie in town. You may choose a red or white wine and taste a meso vovo (half stuffed egg), an aciugheta or a small plate of bovoleti all'aglio e prezzemolo (small field snails offered as snacks, with garlic and parsley). Sit down and enjoy this return to the past! <BR> <BR> Continue to the end of the calle, turn right (Salizzada San Francesco), then left on Salizzada Santa Giustina, then left again at the end (Zorzi) into Corte Nuova. Right in front, at #2877 is Da Dante, the 2nd stop. <BR> Da Dante (open from 7:30am to 9pm, closed Sunday) is another one of the few truly traditional osterie in Venice. Very hardly you're going the find any foreigners. Traditional cicheti include sarde, nerveti, bacala, garusoli (ea snails served as a snack, extracted with a a tooth-pick and eaten on the spot) and s-ciosi (snails). The internal court and billiards make it a rare place. <BR> <BR> Exit Corte Nuova over the bridge, follow to your left and make an immediate right till the end of the calle into Campo San Lorenzo. Cross the bridge over the canal and take the last street to your right (San Lorenzo). Turn right close to the end and follow the bend left over the bridge into Calle Lunga Maria Formosa. A short distance to <BR>your left, at #5183, you'll find alla Mascareta. <BR> Alla Mascareta (open from 5:00pm to 1:00am, closed Sunday) is an osteria noted for its good wine selection. Spacious, with visible ceiling beams and comforting counter, it's nicely furnished with wooden tables and cupboards. You may taste an array of wines accompanied with fine formaggi e salumi. Being your last stopover, you should be prepared for dessert. Ask for a muffato, a picolit, or simply a sweet vinello (dessert wines) with biscottini (biscuits). <BR> <BR>Buon apetito! <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 08:33 PM
Teri

Another vote for Gam-Gam, in the old Jewish ghetto. My daughter & I were in Venice last June, and made TWO trips to Gam-Gam! The paella was to die for, much more than the 2 of us could finish, together. We also loved Taverna San Trovaso in the Dorsoduro district. Neither place broke the budget, and we felt both welcomed and well fed.

Old May 22nd, 1999, 12:22 AM
Ingrid Steinwascher

Aloha... found this post when doing a search on "Venice restaurants." I'm bringing it to the top to see if anyone wants to add anything new. My family (2 adults, 3 teenagers) will be in Venice in June, and are eager to learn as much as possible about possible restaurants to try while there. Please post if you have any more recommendations or new suggestions. Thanks!