Search

Venice Quiz

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Quiz

Here's a quiz about Venice. I've translated it from Venessia.com, with the owner's (Stefano Soffiato) permission. It's a bit harder than the one posted by Palenque in my Venice Trivia thread. You will have to go there to find most of the answers. There is no prize, only a smile of self-satisfaction.
References to street names are in Venetian, so 'Sotoportego e Corte Venier', but a reference to a 'sottoportico' is in Italian.
1. How many arches are there altogether on the Procuratie Vecchie and Nuove in St Mark's Square? [Stefano actually counted from the Zecca and round the Libreria Sansoviniana, but I will take the answer as the question is written. But there is still a catch! - at least I think so.]
2. On one of the columns of the Doges' Palace there is a very old piece of graffiti. What does it depict? [Obviously you'll have to go there to find out. Some help - it's on one of the columns along the Molo.]
3. There is only one street called a 'Via' in Venice. On it there is a church. What time does the church's clock show? [There are actually two churches, but one is no longer in use as a church, and it does not have a clock.]
4. There are two lamp standards (lampposts) in front of the Fenice Theatre. What peculiarity do they have? [I.e. what is special or different about them?]
5. Ponte della Verona, near to the Fenice. From the bridge can be seen an unusual sign that catches the eye. What does it say? [Again, you'll have to go there to find out. I don't expect that it is remarked upon in any guide-book.]
6. Sotoportego e Corte Venier dei Leoni near San Vio. On a wall within the sottoportico there is embedded a statue. What of? [There are actually two 'statues'. Stefano means the first one, which I would not call a statue. But don't let this stop you from looking for the second!]
7. In the middle of Salizada San Stae there is something that arouses our curiosity. It is on the first floor [in American, the second floor] of a house. What is it?
8. Campiello Albrizzi a San Polo. On a wall there is something strange for Venice. What is it? [Not unique, only unusual. Make a note of the inscription.]
9. Calle dei Sansoni a Rialto. At Number 963 there is something that is not square. What is it? [The answer to this can be found on the first itinerary on the venessia.com website.]
10. At the nearby number 456 there is something strange. The door is like a ... what? [This, too, is on the first itinerary.]
11. In Campo Santa Margherita there is the ex-Scuola dei Varoteri (School of the Tanners). There is something nearby that shows that here there was a rio that has been filled in. What is it? [There are lines of white marble inlaid into the stones showing the outline of the rio, but there is something more than that.]
12. Under the Ponte Duodo between Calle Larga XXII Marzo and Campo Santo Stefano there is something unusual ... what? [There are two bridges very close together. Only Ponte Duodo is named on the wall nearby. But it is the other bridge, Ponte Feltrina, north of Ponte Duodo, that you need to look beneath.]
13. San Nicolò dei Mendicoli. A column near the church. What is on top? And what is unusual about that statue?
14. Campo Ruga near San Pietro di Castello. There is a sottoportico. Go in. What have you just hit?
15. Calle Varisco near Fondamente Nove [not all that near]. What mistake was made in this street? [Stefano is referring to the western end of the street.]

You can send your answers to Stefano via his website (make it clear in your answer to Question 1 that you are only counting the arches in the Piazza) or to me. If I remember, I'll put the answers (my answers, anyway) here in 12 months' time.
Good hunting!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM

Well.... the only way to cope with this is to hop a plane!

(Don't I wish!!!)
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM

Hi Bert,
We'll be back in Venezia in November 2010, so I have printed the quiz for future reference. But I think that I have one answer.
In Campo Santa Margherita there is the ex-Scuola dei Varoteri (School of the Tanners). There is something nearby that shows that here there was a rio that has been filled in. What is it? [There are lines of white marble inlaid into the stones showing the outline of the rio, but there is something more than that.]

There is a little marble stub column at the corner of the Scuola closest to Campo san Barnaba, which was used as a mooring post.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 05:13 PM

I'll be printing this out, also, to take with me next March. Your questions will help to focus my attention as I amble along. Oh, these obsessions!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Oh, Peter, you've let one cat out of the bag! Now everyone knows! How did you know about it? I missed it when searching for the answer a couple of weeks ago - I thought the answer was the white lines. What I don't understand is that the stub is on the water side of the white lines, whereas I would have expected it to be on the fondamenta side.
Yes, I hope that Venice obsessives will print out the quiz and take it with them on their next trip. My email address is on my profile, so you can send me answers without spilling the beans to others. Or check with Stefano.
Non-obsessives will wonder what it's all about. This quiz is best suited to those who have already seen all the sights that must be seen.