Venice Questions

Search

Venice Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Questions

I have a few questions for my trip to Venice next week.
1. Are the lines very long for the Gallerie dell'Accademia on a weekend? Is it worth buying tickets in advance?
2. Has anyone been on the Secret Apartment (sorry, I forget name) tour in the Doge's Palace? what did you think of it?
3. Can you recommend any architectural or art walking tours? i'll be by myself for part of my visit and sometimes enjoy putting the books away and being led around. I haven't found anything that looks good for a reasonable price (under $50 for a few hour tour).
4. Any restaurants that you would recommend for lunch with authentic food, possibly off the sight seeing track, where I will be around locals and feel comfortable eating alone and that isn't too formal?
5. Any good areas for clothes shopping? I am looking for somewhere with fun trendy clothes but not as expensive as a gucci or the like. I'm in my early 30's and shop at Banana Republic, Saks, etc. at home.
Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Hi
The Accademia is open every day of the week, so at this time of year even on weekends the lines might not be too bad.
I'm not aware of any arrangement to buy tickets in advance. I've been in line in the autumn about a half hour before opening time and had no problem, it also seems to thin out later in the day.

I've been on the Secret Itinerary tour.
It's interesting, shows you rooms and tells stories you wouldn't ordinarily experience. Do allow time to see the rest of the Doge's Palace--there's an audio guide. The rooms and art are gorgeous.

One good place in Venice is called
Vino Vino. I don't have the details with me at the moment, but a Google search should get them for you.

I have a file on Venice, if you'd lke to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 12:48 PM
awbaker

Vino Vino is an excellent suggestion for a solo diner. Good wine & food, comfortable atmosphere, and the author of A Thousand Days in Venice, Marlene De Blasi, met her husband there.

It is around the corner from La Fenice.

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
For lunch I loved Trattoria Ca d'Oro, alla Vedova. Meets all your requirements. It is across Strada Nova from the Ca d'Oro vaporetto stop.

I also enjoyed Vino Vino, but be aware that the food is prepared at a more upscale restaurant nearby and reheated when you pick it out of the case.

The secret itineraries tour is very worthwhile. It is reasonably priced, and it made the visit much more interesting.

There were no lines for the Accademia when we went in March. Don't know about October.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 08:39 AM

We went to the Accademia last week (Tuesday? a bit before noon). The line was quite long, and wasn't moving much for those without reservations.

Check with your hotel...they can book you a reservation if you wish.