Venice Italy 4 days

Aug 26th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Venice Italy 4 days

What would be the highlights of Venice. Also what’s the best way to get from Marco Polo airport to Rialto bridge @7pm on a Saturday night in September??
Aug 26th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe board
Aug 26th, 2019, 11:18 AM

Wandering around is my #1 highlight.

but also, museum inside saint mark, particularly the horses.
Aug 26th, 2019, 04:56 PM
J62

Best way = private water taxi, where the criteria for best is most memorable.
If your criteria for best is something else please let us know.

I agree with mm. wandering around it my #1 highlight.
- step one. look for crowds
- step two. turn around and wander the other way.
- step three, return to where all the tourists were after they've left & returned to their bus/cruise ship/etc.
Aug 26th, 2019, 08:55 PM

"Best " is subjective. What matters most to you, time, cost, something else? If time is the most important and not cost, private taxi is 120 euro and 25-30 minutes. If cost matters,Alilaguna boats take longer but costs much less, 15 euro per person one way. There is also a bus that for 6 euro will take you to Piazzale Roma from where you would need to take a water taxi..
Aug 27th, 2019, 06:43 AM

For me, the highlight should be the two islands: Murano and Burano. San Marco Square is also a must see
Aug 27th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Go to Peggy Guggenheim's Place. Take sandwich, avoid the art and sit in the canal side garden watching the boats.
Aug 27th, 2019, 08:22 AM

Or go to Ca' Pesaro. We spent 4 hours there last trip to Venice and could easily have spent another 4.
Aug 27th, 2019, 09:00 AM

I was about to disagree with bilbo, but then I realized I’d misread it. Yeah, go for the view and avoid the art. It would make a very pleasant outing.
Aug 27th, 2019, 09:25 AM

Why not the art? No one says you have to spend 20 minutes in front of each piece or even that you have to like it, but go ahead and walk past a Jackson Pollock and just look at it... the Calder metal sculpture headboard is interesting. If you never expose yourself to different things you miss out in life. You might see something you appreciate. Just a thought.
Aug 27th, 2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Trophywife007 View Post
Why not the art? No one says you have to spend 20 minutes in front of each piece or even that you have to like it, but go ahead and walk past a Jackson Pollock and just look at it... the Calder metal sculpture headboard is interesting. If you never expose yourself to different things you miss out in life. You might see something you appreciate. Just a thought.
Gee, thanks. I've been to that particular museum, as it happens. You're right, there were pieces that were interesting. It was hardly a highlight, though. The view, however, is worth the cost of admission.
Aug 27th, 2019, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by marvelousmouse View Post
Gee, thanks. I've been to that particular museum, as it happens. You're right, there were pieces that were interesting. It was hardly a highlight, though. The view, however, is worth the cost of admission.
I figured you had been, MM, but re. the OP, who knows? Once s/he's paid, walk through the darned place. Seems silly not to.
Aug 27th, 2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Trophywife007 View Post
I figured you had been, MM, but re. the OP, who knows? Once s/he's paid, walk through the darned place. Seems silly not to.
Oh, I get you well, yeah, I didn’t mean literally avoid. I just meant I wouldn’t pay admission for the art. And usually, I love museums like that.

to be fair, though, I felt that way about most of the museums in Venice. Less that they don’t have interesting exhibits, and more that there’s a whole free, seemingly endless “museum” surrounding you.

geez, and now I’m considering passing up Prague/Vienna/Budapest for Italy. I told myself I didn’t need to return to Venice but obviously, didn’t mean it.