Search

Venice in two or three days?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:39 PM
CK1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice in two or three days?

I am currently living in Switzerland and consider myself quite fortunate in that I have been able to frequently travel throughout Europe. I have never been to Venice, however, and am already planning a trip for late May. My question is this, would you expert Fodorites recommend three (nearly) full days in Venice or, if I can get away with two, would that be ok as well?

I am debating between taking an overnight train and arriving on Saturday morning (at 7am,) or a regular one (arriving at 4pm,) and then either way leaving the following Monday afternoon around 5pm to be back home by midnight. If I leave on the early train, I could have another "day" in theory, and a Saturday too, knowing that certain places will be closed on Sunday and Monday. I know that they are different places, but I traveled several times to Rome, Florence, and some other little towns in Italy, so I am curious what Venice will be like.

Many thanks in advance for those who read this message and for any help you may offer
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Take as much time as you can manage. We did a week last year and still missed some highlights.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Absolutely, plan on at least 3 days to really and enjoy all of the beautiful sights in Venice. It is unique and in my opinion 2 days is just not enough time to see all of the special sights.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:49 PM

Two is ok, if that is what you have, but you really don't end up with all that much sightseeing time arriving late on Saturday and leaving Monday afternoon. Your longer plan would be much better. Spend about half your time seeing the major sights and the other half walking the neighborhoods.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:07 PM

i took the overnight train, and arrived at 7am. I had a bad experience with that because it was raining, and i was unable to check in to my hotel unitll 1:30 pm. I was able to leave my luggage at the hotel so that was nice. But at 7am I did not find much to do, and as i said it was raining (and cold)so walking around was a pain. But if you are lucky and the weather is nice i am sure you could find something to do.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:29 PM
rex

The tourist population swells on the weekend, especially in the good weather months. Extending your stay to include some of Tuesday coud even be better than arriving at 7 am on Saturday.

Note that Fodors offers a free skeleton outline of how to spend three day in Venice - - here; the link: http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...;feature=30002

I was pleased to make your acquaintance earlier today, and I'm especially glad to see you post here!

Come back often and ask all the questions you can think of - - broad and vague or highly specific.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:14 PM
CK1
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who took the time to write...I appreciate your insights and help!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:20 AM

A minimum of 4 days to see the major sights in Venice. But 3 days will give you a good taste. Note that Venice has much more than just the Grand Canal, Rialto Bridge, and the sights at P. San Marco.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:59 AM

We wandered around for a week and still did not see everything, so you will find plenty to do in three days.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:23 AM
ira

Hi CK,

Spend as much time as possible. We have been 7 times and are still working on our "must sees".
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:10 AM

My wife and I did 1 1/2 days last year, arriving Fri around noon from Florence and leaving Monday morning. (I can envision the cringing and gasps of horror now. )While I agree that you'd always want more time, we felt it wasn't so bad. The only "sight" we saw was St. Mark's cathedral. We did _lots_ of walking, including up into Castello and all the way from San Marco to the train station. We had the advantage of fewer (though still many) people and great weather (i.e., no rain). We had the disadvantage that it got dark quite early. Obviously we'd would have liked to see more of the sights, but it gives us an excuse to return some day. (Of course, who would ever need an "excuse".)

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip.
Paul
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 08:30 AM

Take as much time as you can! As others have said, we were there for a week in 2002 and it was barely enough. Allowing some extra time will also perhaps allow you to wander some away from San Marco, see the other islands,get lost (as we often did) and delight in finding your way back.