Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice- If not Locanda Orseolo, what are the other choices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are returning to Venice!
This time without kids! Just two of us! My husband and I both will be 50 this year and we are treating ourselves this year. I am looking for something special.

I contacted Locanda Orseolo and they did not reply yet. Just in case if they are not available, what would be other romantic choices?

We want to be close to Piazza san Marco, we love to sit there in the evening and listen to the various orchestras.

This time I do not want 4* hotels, since the service might slip and 5* are expensive. Our price range is about 250 eur.

I will also consider apartments - studio or 1 bedroom. Do not want to eat out all the time, plus, it will be after our weekly yacht cruise, so we will be fed up by that time with food!

We love shop for food on markets.

Any suggestions?

thanks
sophia
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:50 AM

It sounds like what you really want is an apartment and you'll get better response if you repost with that in the title. There's a lot of info here if you do a search on apartment in venice. One that's very popular is the Palazzetto da Schio in Dorsoduro, but that may not be as close to San Marco as you'd like. Here's a thread about it
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34536600
It is right near La Calcina which is another popular hotel. They also have an apartment they rent I think.

Here's an apt that's been mentioned that is near San Marco

http://www.holiday-rentals.com/index...perty/1670.cfm

but there are many more. Slowtrav.com is good for apt listings and reviews too.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:24 AM

We like the Hotel Ala about 10 minutes walk from San Marco. It is on a small canal with a charming view and good service. It is a 3*.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:01 AM

I usually stay at the Hotel Wildner....great location...wonderful staff. (Elisabetta) GREAT PRICE!!
www.veneziahotels.com

BUT also check out this lovely apartment....I've been in contact with the owner (very nice) for a longer visit.
www.rosadivenezia.com

I hope that you & Mrs Green have a wonderful stay in Venezia!!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:02 AM

Welll that was a big OPPS........sorry !
I'm sure Mrs. Green will be with Mr. Green!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. McLaurie, while apartment might be an option, but I will consider some unique accommodation like Locanda Orselo .

Bailey - who is Mr & Mrs. Green ?
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:12 AM
ktw

Hi Sophia

I have just stayed at Locanda Orseolo with my two nieces over carnevale, It was a wonderful accomodation and location. The owners made you feel like old friends.

We usually stay at the Europa and Regina, but after this stay at Locanda Orseolo we would return in a heartbeat.

The owners at the loconda are very professional if you have not heard from them yet, I suggest that you try to recontact them they may not have recieved your request.

Good luck
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KTW,
Locanda looks very nice, however, I got a better offer!
I just got reply from owner of http://www.rosadivenezia.com
that the flat is available for my dates and the price is only 160 eur per night. We actually would prefer apartment to B&B. I accepted it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:40 AM

Wonderful!!!
Please let me know how you like the apartment.......I'm thinking of renting it for a few weeks in the fall. It's in a great area....very convenient...(I went to check out the area on my last trip.) Didn't get to see apartment....owners don't live in Venice.
([email protected])
If you have any questions feel free to e-mail.....I've been to Venice many times.

ps....Mr Green posted another question that I answered....and I suffered brain lock...sorry)
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:46 PM
ira

Hi em,

There have been good reports about the "smeralda" room at
http://veniceby.com/barbarigo/index.html

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

I have a problem with Rosa Di Venezia. While apartment is perfect and the price is right - however the owner asked to pay by Western Union or Moneygram! Did anybody ever paid by Western Union? Is it like cash?? He said bank charges are high and if we want to pay by wire transfer, it will cost extra 20%.

We often make payments by wire transdfer, but never by Western Union.

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:27 AM

While I've never done it personally Western Union shouldn't be a problem (depending on where you live).
There's been another post going for a few days on the high costs the banks are charging for transfer fees.

But if you don't mind my asking, I'd be curious to know how you determined the apt was perfect? There are hardly any photos of it. No photo of the kitchen or the bathroom. I respect Bailey's opinion but she hasn't seen it yet. I don't see a comfortable place for 2 people to sit (the settee is small). This website wouldn't impress me without more info. I have also seen nicer looking apts for 1000e/week and less.

http://www.permessovenezia.com/prv_living.htm
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

McLaurie,
I just replied ounder other subject "Western Union"

When we looked at charges of WU and conversion rates, we decided it is not worth a hassle to pay this way. In addition, we also read today article in the news which does not recommend to send money this way to unknown people.
So so far we booked BW Monte carlo, by Venice by guaranteeing to CC. If something better will come up, we will change the reservation.

You ask why it is perfect? There are enough pictures (not that good quality pictures, but enough to understand). I read reviews on slowtrav.com and they were good. I usually have a feeling re: hotels and apartments (as I said, I am a travel agent), and so far my instinct did not dissapoint me. I liked in Rosa Di Venezia location, I liked that they have a small balcony and canal views.
I like that they have elevator and even washer and dryer. The price is 160 eur per night plus 59 one time clean fee.

We stayed in quite few apartments in London, Nice, Rome and so far were happy. While BW Monte Carlo is not that exciting, the location is very good and hotel has good reviews. I personally sent there some clients and they liked it. But again, nothing that exciting.

But Permesso Venezia looks good! I will check it out! I hope they do not request Western Union.

Will keep you posted and thank you for your suggestions.

However, it is not the end of my search.

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

I sent them email but then I found out it is 2 bedroom, and we need one.

Any other ideas? Locanda Orseolo replied that they are sold out.
sophia
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:23 PM

Just because there are 2 bedrooms doesn't mean you have to use them both! You'd have an extra bath. It's only 800e/week.

Lood at Liassidi Palace Hotel.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Maclaurie,
the hotel looks good but I want something closer to San Marco square. The idea is to sit in the evening in Piazza san marco and listen to orchestras. To walk to the hotel in the evening - we always getting lost in venice, so we want something close to Piazza San Marco . MY husband is dead set on Monte Carlo and I am still looking for some apartments. Can't stop!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Permesso Venezia replied, their San Marco apartment is booked.

What else?

Sophia
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:25 PM

You don't specify what your needs are (ie air conditioning, elevator, less than a week rental etc.) but here's a nice apt near San Marco.

http://www.venice-rentals.com/venice/v87.html
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:28 PM

We stayed at the Locanda Barbarigo in Venice last June and were extremely pleased with it. We paid 185E/night there. It is easily accessible to the Santa Maria del Giglio vaporetto stop and only a 5 minute walk to San Marco Square. Spending the evenings in the square is a must!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Maclaurie,
our requirements are:
1. elevator (or first floor)
2, short walk to San Marco
3. a/c
4. short term rental (3 nights)
5. nice view. Once we stayed in 3* hotel in Venice, with windows facing another wall. Never again!
6. price range 250 eur
this apartment does not have elevator.

something special.
As I said, we are holding BW Monte carlo but I am not excited.

Contacted Locanda Barbarigo, they did not reply yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -