Venice Hotels - Which One?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2022, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- For those who have visited Venice and have gotten to know the neighborhoods, I'd appreciate some feedback on which hotel is best situated. I have a reservation in Sept. at a hotel in the Dorsoduro at the foot of the Accademia bridge (Hotel Galleria), which was recommended by Fodorites. Another hotel, close to S. Marco Plaza (Hotel Saturnia) is another option for us. The costs for a 5 night stay are comparable. Different styles but I'm sure both are comfortable. Thanks for your feedback
!
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 11:19 PM

Galleria for sure. I know the area very well.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 05:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We always choose to be away from St. Mark’s and it’s crowds.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 10:03 AM

We really like the Galleria, especially the location in Dorsoduro, on the Grand Canal and next to the Academia Bridge and Vaporetto stop. You really can’t beat that. Keep in mind though, there is no elevator and no restaurant in the hotel. You want to make sure to get a private bath too.
The Saturnia actually gets very good reviews and looks to be slightly out of the middle of tourists, also has elevators and a roof top deck.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 10:26 AM

We stayed in polar opposites on our visits, both had they're pros/cons:
Hotel Cavalletto and Doge Orseolo: Steps away from St Mark's square, but surprisingly private. Good breakfast and overlooks the gondola station. Not fancy, but rooms were decent. GREAT location for taking advantage of the quiet mornings/evenings in Venice.
Hilton Molina Stuckey: Across the waterway on Guidecca. 5-start luxury with large rooms and an awesome deck/pool on the roof with views of the city. Has it's own shuttle to St Mark's, but still an effort to get into Venice proper quickly. Was great for escaping the crowds.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 12:27 PM

We enjoyed a hotel which has, unfortunately, closed near St. Mark's Square but tucked away in a quiet area. My vote would be to be closer to St. Mark's Square only if you would like to hear the orchestras playing at night in the square. We went there several nights and enjoyed strolling the square and listening to the music.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 07:38 PM

We stayed in the Galleria in May and enjoyed it very much. We were disappointed that they no longer offered breakfast but I sure enjoyed the beautiful view right out on the Grand Canal! On a previous trip we stayed at Hotel Serenissima which is between San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. It was a great location and the breakfast buffet was wonderful, not sure if covid changed that or not.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses! Like alandavid said, each hotel has its pros and cons. I think I'm going to go with Saturnia. The deciding factors were the onsite restaurant (said to be quite good), with breakfast included in the rate, the air conditioning, and the elevator. Plus, it is near S. Marco but away from the crowds. I'll report on whether I made the right decision in the trip report I plan to write on our return. Thank you again!
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Peter_S_Aus - I've heard it's an interesting neighborhood and we've booked a private walking tour through "With Locals" to see and learn more.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 03:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
the Dorsoduro! Stayed twice at Pensione La Calcina and loved that location.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, Suze - this hotel looks really nice and I agree that it's a great location. Unfortunately they don't have availability for the nights I want. Thanks for responding.