Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice hotels: Violino d'Oro ,,,Elevator?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching a hotel in Venice with easy access to San Marco, elevator or ground floor room, canal view and a price of under 200E. The Violino D'Oro seems to fit the bill. In reading reviews here in in Venere, I see that some say there is an elevator, while others complain of a 6 flight hike up the stairs, and someone else mentioned the room they got was not even in the hotel. Can anyone shed any more light on this?
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

I'm topping this for myself....someone must have the answer to my question !
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:18 AM

have you tried emailing the hotel for an answer from the source?
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I emailed the hotel, but English must be limited, as they said "More dates are fully booked, please let us know the days" and did not address the elevator issue. I know that some on this site have stayed there, and hoped they could give me some information.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:34 AM

I just email them asking if the hotel had an elevator. Here's the response:

Yes it does

Please let us know if you made a reservation because if you booked a room in our new dependance there is no elevator

Best regards

Romina

Old May 16th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ! Has anyone stayed in the part of the hotel that they are talking about...must be the old section, not the new. Again, thanks for taking the time to check on that.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:11 AM

I found this old posting from fodors
regarding Violino d'Oro

"We were in room 103, which is the corner room on the 1st floor, and its three tall windows overlook the Campo San Moise (and also the Campiello Barozzi which is actually where the hotel entrance is). The two squares are effectively one square divided by the canal S Moise which has a bridge between the two anyway... The room is mainly blue and yellow, one wall is covered in a pretty rich blue silk, the bed has a yellow bedcover, furniture is a pale green and carpet is a pale grey. It’s a restful and pretty room. The room does have fully controllable heating and air-conditioning (if it seems not to be working phone reception who flick a switch somewhere which then stays on for the rest of the stay)...

"The bathroom, fully adapted for disabled visitors, is larger than those in most of the other rooms (we are told) and certainly larger than those featured on the website. In fact I ask to see the suite later in our stay ( #301 for future reference) and find that our bathroom is bigger than that one too. The suite bedroom is large, usually sleeps three but is set up to sleep 4. The bathroom is small and doesn't have a tub, but it does have a window…the terrace is large and furnished and inviting…the current cost of the suite is 300 euros… The adaptations in our bathroom mean a disturbingly high and oddly shaped toilet seat, which I just about get used to during the week, a well designed sink with a large tilting mirror to suit all heights and a large shower enclosure with fold down seat. My favourite is the incredibly efficient towel heater/ radiator, which warms up fully within minutes. There is also a standard hotel wall-mounted hairdryer. No bathtub…"
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Yeah, I wrote that, Elaine!
From our visit of Easter 2002.
Wonderful visit!

When they talk of their dependence it sounds to me like they are talking about an additional building they have taken over and in which some of their new rooms are located and that it is THIS that does not have an elevator.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

So, Elaine, to make sure that I understand you correctly...When you stayed at Violino d'Oro, you were happy with it AND it does have an elevator? Did you have a view? Close to San Marco also, correct?
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:01 PM

no, Kavey wrote the report that Elaine found. What you keep missing is the fact that there are two buildings that the hotel apparently owns. One has an elevatoir, one does not. If you make reservations, tell them you must be in the one with the elevator!

Have you also looked on tripadvisor.com to see if there are other reviews of the hotel?
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Travel52, as I said above <i><b>I</b></i> wrote that passage above about my stay in the Violino d'Oro in 2002.

My recollection is that there was indeed a lift.
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Kavey is correct, sandi is correct.

I also suggest that you read the reviews at tripadvisor, they are mixed.