Venice Hotels- soooo expensive!!

Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Venice Hotels- soooo expensive!!

Ok.. i'm really frustrated. I can't seem to find a decent room in Venice for less than 180€.. and even the rooms that i find in the price range of 180-200€, ... i don't like them. AT ALL.
I know that i won't find in Venice nice, affordable, contemporary hotels but i don't think i'll enjoy my stay in a room that feels like i'm in Versailles. And i can't stand this typical floor... mosaique? I don't know the name exactly.
Please any recomendations will be highly appreciated. Thanks!
(sorry about that,but we don't want to pay so much money for a room that we won't like)
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM

If you have a problem with Venetian glass and terrazo floors, my recommendation would be to reconsider your destination as Venice is just overspilling with the stuff.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Researching for a trip this summer, I quickly learned that Venetian hotels are extraordinarily expensive. I cannot speak to the tile or design of the hotels, as I only looked at price, room size,location, meals. In general, to find lower priced lodging...

- Stay away from San Marco Square. Venice is only a mile or two across, and this tourist area, while popular, can easily be walked to or accessed via water taxi from many of the other districts in Venice.

- Consider Giudeca: This island, south of Venice (and part of it) is less touristy, and not as convenient, but has some interesting appeal and is not that far from the main island.

- Consider the Jewish ghetto: lots of history, and some of the properties are pretty affordable.

Hope this helps.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM

What are the dates of your Venice stay? That affects prices quite a bit. Much as I enjoyed staying in Venice, if you really do want a contemporary modern hotel, maybe you should consider staying outside Venice. Maybe not in Mestre, but in Padua. Many hotel rooms in Italy are uncarpeted, with terra cotta or hardwood floors.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:43 PM

The Venetian style is quite ornate and also not my preferred taste but, when in Venice, this is the norm.

I personally put more emphasis on cleanliness, location, room comfort and staff than I do on decor.

There are several quite modern hotels. I stayed in the Monaco and Grand Canal three years ago for 150 US a night using Priceline. You might want to explore that option.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM

I'm not trying to be rude, but why are you traveling if it's not to experience the local ambiance and enjoy the differences? It may not be my taste either, but I love to experience the different ways of life.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM

I can relate to not loving the high end decor but agree in the right place it's fun (we loved the Alfonso in Seville). One suggestion we considered was Charming House DD.724 on the Tablet Hotels website at tablethotels.com
Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:24 PM

we are going to Venice in May and have rooms booked at the Best Western Ala.. close to everything and if you book directly via their website you can get pretty good internet rates (our cost will be about 95 per person/per night)

You can check out review at venere.com
Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:48 PM

Yesterday we just rented a lovely looking two bedroom apartment for 750 Euros for a week all inclusive. Maybe you should look for an apartment instead of a hotel http://vrbo.com/
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:17 PM

The check in section of this article may be of some help

http://travel.independent.co.uk/euro...cle2095612.ece
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:19 PM

As Willtravle said, if OP doesn't say when she is going, we cannot give her right advice price-wise. Depending on the seasons, the same room could cost 2, 3, and perhaps in rare case even nearly 4 times.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions!!
We're planning the trip for April-May so it is high season!
TJinSOMA i have already checked Charming House DD.724.. it looks great!! Unfortunately it's very expensive during the days i've checked..
Actually we like hardwood floor even more than carpet, (even teracota flooring) but the rooms i seem to find have that 'other' material that i don't know the name..
Anyway, i know that you travel to experience different cultures and designs etc.etc.. i would just prefer not to experience them in my room

Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:15 AM

I know of at least two hotels in Venice which have hardwood floors and the decoration in the roomswon't remind you of Versailles. Unfortunately they are both within walking distance of the dreaded San Marco (the city may only be a couple of miles across but once you've gone UP and DOWN all those canal bridges you'll think you've walked all the way to Rome!).

Also unfortunately they are probably out of your price range...but if you WANT Venice you are going to have to pay unles you consider an apartment.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:16 AM

We are going back to Venice again this summer and we are again staying at the Hotel Flora....what a find. Set in a small alley (off the main street with all the luxury shops.) Check out their website. It is so charming, quaint and romantic inside and out. Even their staff is wonderful. Thanks to their helpfulness I was able to purchase my beautiful venetian pillows for my sofa. Very good value for the money.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:22 AM

I'm not sure whether the Antica Venezia is to your taset but it is within your price range:

http://www.anticavenezia.com/eng/index.html

It's 2 minutes from San Marco and we found it a comfortable and convenient place to stay.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Dukey please send me the hotels you've just mentioned! I would like to check them out..
Does anyone know bed and breakfast Ca Riccio? They just send me an availability emai for only 110€!!!! In Venice!!! I can't believe that price.. and tripadvisor reviews are very good.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Maria H i've just checked the hotel but unfortunately.. no availability!
ReddVelvet thanks for the suggestion, but 260€/night (hotel flora) for a standard room is quite expensive.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:57 AM

> Ca Riccio? They just send me an availability emai for only 110€!!!! In Venice ..

Depending on the categories the hotels (1 -5 stars), that price is no surprise. I have stayed at a 1 star hotel in May for €58 in Canneregio and last Christmas at a 3* hotel in Castello for €50 per night both with en suite bathroom and considering the price I paid, they were perfectly acceptable.

Riccio seems nice on their web site. Maybe it's rather an new B&B? I like the location, near the Santa Maria dei Miracoli church. I thought it might not have air-con but it says it does so that's another good point (if the air-con works in that season is another matter though). Perhaps, you should give it a try ?
Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:24 AM
sjj

In 2003 my wife and I stayed at the Grand Italia Hotel in Padua and took the train each day to Venice. The hotel is near the Padua train station and reasonably priced. If you decide to stay in Padua and you like art, try to see the Giotto frescos in the Arena Chapel.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:36 AM

If you like more modern style hotels, try to find something in venice mestre... it's not so expensive as venice city and just on the other side of the lagoon (really easy to reach. Visit for example www.nycevenice.com, they have a special page for venice mestre.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO