Venice Hotels and some interesting survey results

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which? Holiday is a magazine produced by the Consumer’s Association in the UK. They have an online version that I’ve subscribed to for a few years now. Amongst many other things, the Holiday team anonymously visit hotels or fly as airline passengers then write reports and rate what they found.

In their most recent edition they inspected seventeen Venice hotels then recommended eight of them. There was one overall winner.

Their recommendations:

Hotel Ai do Mori (50 euro)
Ca’ Bonvicini (74 euro)
Hotel Dimora Marciana (100 euro)
Hotel Galleria (120 euro)
Hotel Giorgione (120 euro)
Pension La Calcina (130 euro)
Hotel a La Commedia (169 euro)
Hotel Des Bains (230 euro)
(prices listed are for the cheapest double room for two people, with breakfast and taxes for one night in November 2009)

The winner: Hotel Dimora Marciana (they raved about the staff, its sumptuousness and location).

Amazingly, I don’t think this hotel has ever been mentioned on here. If it has, the search engine can’t find it!

Anyone ever lodged at the place or know of it?

Joe
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Dimora Marciana, no never heard of it here or on Tripadvisor either. Will search there now.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Tripadvisor has 7 reviews, the oldest being May 2009, obviously a new hotel. Quite close to Piazza San Marco (some wrote 2 minutes walk), on venere.com, the double room on random Nov dates at €110.-. Photo looks nice. I would consider this hotel for my next stay in Venice.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

I did the same Kappa1. Not got any plans to visit Venice at this time but will take a note of the hotel 'just in case'.

I'd like to mention what they say about all the hotels but I think I'd be breaking copyright. Very interesting reading though especially as they actually visited them all, pretending to be genuine guests.

joe
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Hotel Dimora Marciana has 6 rooms, according to a site I found searching on Voila.fr and the pictures look nice. The rooms have A/C as it is very modern. It is 50 meters from the plaza S. Marco.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I loved La Calcina (twice) but it's crept up out of my price range. Interesting to see some rooms recommended and available at the 50 or 70 euro level.
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 01:27 AM

I stayed at Hotel Giorgione with my boyfriend this late august. It's an elegant hotel, furnished in typical venitian style: the rooms are cozy and GORGEOUS!
The staff is very friendly and helpful indeed...
And the location is superb, in a campo really close to Rialto Bridge and a few minutes from Saint Mark Square.
Website is: http://www.hotelgiorgione.com/
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Rezedencia Carnaveggio (sp?) horrible local 45 min boa ride from San Marco. Also weird 2 level rooms
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:23 PM

Anyone else have experience with these hotels, other than La Calcina (which we love too)?

I'm looking for recommendations for a friend.

thanks!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM

We stayed at the Ai do Mori a couple of years ago at Christmas. It's very central, which was good at Christmas, but might make it a bit horrible in the high season in July. Room was good, staff were friendly.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks! They will be going in November so not high season. They are a mother and grown daughter, so will need twin beds. Looking for good value but warm and friendly hosts.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM

I'd go with the Ai do Mori then. It's easy to find - Turn right from the Alilaguna ferry stop, past the souvenir vendors, cross the Piazzetta and the Piazza, under the clock tower, first right, 30 yards and you are there. It's next door to McDonalds, and you don't have to cross any bridges (and stairs) to get there.

We had a corner room, and it was fun watching the streets coming to life in the morning. They don't do breakfast, but there are bars where you can get a coffee and croissant first thing.

A word of warning - their cancellation policy is a bit draconian - like, you don't get a refund.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM

bookmarking; thanks for the info
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM

For future reference, I hope, someday.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM

bookmarking--thank you!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM

We've stayed at Hotel Giorgione several times, though we've never paid so little as the price given above (though we were visiting in late Sept or early Oct, not November). It's a 4-star hotel, quite nice, with a beautiful breakfast area that includes an outdoor area (though probably not in November) around a fountain.

It's a 15-minute walk from Hotel Giorgione, as it's located on the edge of the Cannaregio. We love the location in the less-touristy part of Venice.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM

bookmarking
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 09:39 AM

bookmarking
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 08:10 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Dimora Marciana in November 2009 for three nights - based on the UK review mentioned. The location was great - on a very quiet alley but still very central. The bath was nice - it was modern and everything worked well, there was WIFI, and flat screen TVs (but only the news channel in English). The entire hotel was very clean and the staff was nice. The beds were just awful, however. This came at the end of our Italy trip, and I had learned that the beds in Italy are different - but these were by far the worst beds we encountered anywhere. We had the two room suite,which was VERY reasonably priced. The twin beds in the main room were not full size twins at all, however. I don't think a large man could sleep on them at all - and it was like trying to sleep on a convex board - no give at all. The pillow was also wretched - a hard slab with no give. I hate to say all of that because everything else about the hotel was fine, and the price was great - but I wouldn't go back unless they informed me they had changed out the beds.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 11:32 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Galleria. Small rooms but wonderful views on the Grand Canal. Very handy to vaporetto, restaurants and Accademia. Staff lovely, breakfast served in your room, lots of everything. Would definitely stay again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -