Venice Hotels

Feb 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Venice Hotels

I am after a nice/clean hotel but as reasonably priced as can be for Venice, 3 adults room, staying 2 nights in July so maybe Air Con a must?? Any idea's from recent stays?
Feb 17th, 2007, 08:02 PM

You might want to do some checking on www.venere.com. They seem to have the widest range of affordable options. Also, www.vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner) is a neat site that offers locally owned lodging...often very affordable with alot of local flavor.
Feb 17th, 2007, 08:08 PM

I stayed at Hotel Corte Contarina in December and loved it. It was December, so I didn't look for or notice air conditioning. However, my boyfriend and I had a great stay. The bed and breakfast is in the Castello district, which is close enough to St. Mark's Square but also allows you to mingle with the locals. It was my favorite hotel during my entire trip, which included Venice, Florence and Rome. Check out the reviews at tripadvisor.com.
Feb 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - this is the first time I have used Fodors, and got replies so fast!! It was recommended by a friend, it is great!! Thank you!
Feb 17th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Traveller16--I think I might actually be addicted to the Fodor's forum now. I am currently planning a trip to Africa and am obsessed with reading everything I can about it. One person in particular has been especially helpful to me. I almost feel like I need to give back. Good luck with your planning. You'll have a great trip...and oh, Hotel Corte Contarina was relatively inexpensive as I recall.
Feb 17th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Traveller16, you will get even more useful help if you tell us exactly how much you want to spend per night. "Reasonable" can mean a lot of different things to differnt people. Also whether things like an elevator are important.
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:00 PM
hdm

Also, if you do a search in the box at the top of 'Venice hotels' you'll come up with a wealth of information in previous threads.
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I will try the thread. I am learnig but yes, I will try to put more info in future. reasonable - for venice, yes, this is difficult - but around EUR125-150 a night, and air con is important but not a lift etc...
Feb 17th, 2007, 11:03 PM

www.caangeli.it.

Can't say enough about them..and they have ac.
Feb 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM

I understand your concern about air con. I stayed in Venice end of July when the heat was perhaps the worst last year and air con was a life saver. I stayed at 2* Hotel Mercurio that I had known from my previous stay. I had one smaller room alone (€80) and my 2 friends had a bigger room (€100) with a view to a small canal (outside the window across the canal, you see a sign on the wall that says "Wlofgang Mozart Amdeus stayed here .."). My room was not big but not tiny either, perfectly ok for 1 person. My friends' room was fairly spaceous for 2 persons. I don't know if they have a triple room but worth inquiring. Mid summer is generally a shoulder season so you don't pay the highest price. The greatest thing then was the air con worked really well in both rooms. The breakfast is rather plein. The reception is on the 1st (American 2nd) floor and you have to walk up there. No lift. In San Marco district, 2 minute walk to Fenice Theater so the location is really central.

http://www.hotelmercurio.com/en/index.htm

Oh, this hotel offers €10 discount paying in cash. That's what we did and we actullay paid 60 for the single and 90 for the double.

Good luck and happy planning.
Feb 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I have written away a couple of emails to the hotels so hopefully a response soon (well, overnight for me)
Thanks so much
Feb 18th, 2007, 12:37 AM

Traveller 16,
I just booked a 4* hotel in Venice for July as well, but the price through hotels.com was $154 USD per night for a twin. I haven't stayed in Venice for years, but AC is a definited MUST for July. Besides staying cool, it can also block some smells that arise in stagnant water and significant heat. We are confirmed at the Columbina Hotel located between the Rialto Bridge and San Marco.
I also checked venere.com and have booked several res through them. They are very efficient. They have a section for apartments and B & B's, too. One apartment that was available for my dates (9-11 July) slept 5 people, one bath, two bdrms and kitchen for about $120 for TWO total for the apt, but had a 3 night stay minimum (in case you're flexible). It had AC, Tv, laundry, etc. I believe it was the Ca Francesco.
maybe we'll pass in the night in Florence or another Italian city.
Tina B