Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice hotel suggestion--getting desperate!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 1999, 09:45 AM
George

We will be on our honeymoon during the second week of June and will stay in Venice Lido in the Hotel Des Bains. Does anyone have any insight on hotel and location? Is this appropriate for a honeymoon? The room that I am considering is described as having a sea side view—the other option was for the garden view. Is one nicer than the other. <BR> <BR>I tried dozens of hotels closer to the center of Venice and recommended by guidebooks, but they are all booked. A few that are available are not in any guidebooks and are relatively inexpensive—making me wonder about the quality. <BR> <BR>Other options include: Hotel Locanda Ovidius, Santa Chiara, Hotel Ambasciatori, Hotel Alexander. Would any of these be a better bet than the Des Bains? <BR> <BR>Looking forward to your responses.

Old May 4th, 1999, 10:28 AM
elaine

I am not familiar with the alternative hotels, nor can I find them in my guide book, but the Hotel Des Bains is said to be a very nice hotel indeed. It has it's own grounds and beach, the rooms were renovated not too long ago, and they run their own launch between the Lido and Venice proper. <BR>There have been differing opinions in this forum about the advantages and the disadvantages of staying on the Lido. <BR>It is somewhat removed from the San Marco heart of Venice, but not that far and some people like it very much just on its own merits, precisely because it's not in San Marco. Since you are going shortly, I think you should be happy with your choice, especially since it's hard and a bit late to explore other options. The hotel you have chosen has a good reputation, the others may or may not be as nice or as convenient. <BR>Trust me, I'm sure you will love Venice <BR>and if you decide that you'd prefer not to be on the Lido next time, you can plan differently for the future. <BR>Email me if you have other questions about Venice, I love talking about it. <BR>

Old May 4th, 1999, 10:29 AM
elaine

I am not familiar with the alternative hotels, nor can I find them in my guide book, but the Hotel Des Bains is said to be a very nice hotel indeed. It has it's own grounds and beach, the rooms were renovated not too long ago, and they run their own launch between the Lido and Venice proper. <BR>There have been differing opinions in this forum about the advantages and the disadvantages of staying on the Lido. <BR>It is somewhat removed from the San Marco heart of Venice, but not that far and some people like it very much just on its own merits, precisely because it's not in San Marco. Since you are going shortly, I think you should be happy with your choice, especially since it's hard and a bit late to explore other options. The hotel you have chosen has a good reputation, the others may or may not be as nice or as convenient. <BR>Trust me, I'm sure you will love Venice <BR>and if you decide that you'd prefer not to be on the Lido next time, you can plan differently for the future. <BR>Email me if you have other questions about Venice, I love talking about it. <BR>Oh, and congratulations. <BR>

Old May 4th, 1999, 11:45 AM
Jean

George, <BR>We stayed at the Hotel Des Bains for two nights last October with a Perrillo tour. It is a luxury hotel with big gorgeous rooms. The buffet breakfast was excellent - scrambled eggs, bacon and any other hot or cold food you might want for breakfast. Our room on the second floor faced the water, but we couldn't see anything because of tall trees. As you go out the front door, there is a nice private beach across a narrow road a few steps ahead. <BR> <BR>Obviously, it is a different experience than being in the center of Venice. We did not spend much time there since we went over to central Venice to look around both days and were taken by water taxi for dinner there also. <BR> <BR>We really enjoyed the hotel and the Lido, but next time we will stay in Venice to spend more time looking around and less time travelling on the boat. <BR> <BR>I hope this helps. <BR>

Old May 4th, 1999, 12:36 PM
Rod Hoots

Haven't stayed there but have been in the hotel several times. It is a nice, old fashioned place that, in my opinion, should be nice for a honeymoon. A garden view room might be quieter. It's a very pleasant five minute walk down the main street to the ferry for Venice, with nice sidewalk cafes, gelato shops, and upscale boutiques along the way. If you like strolling or biking, Lido is a pleasant place to do it. We rented an apartment there for a month two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the area and the ambiance. The weather should be perfect. Enjoy! <BR>