Reload this Page >

Venice Hotel Canada vs Locanda Sturion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 1999, 09:19 AM
gabriela

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Canada or Locanda Sturion?!!? Both look good on the web, but I wanted to get any comments from someone who has actually stayed there. Thanks for the help. <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 1999, 09:49 AM
Beth

I haven't stayed at Locanda Sturion, but my office-mate did on his trip to Italy last year. They liked it very much, all though he warned me there were a lot of steps to climb. But it was comfortable, and they had a nice view.

Old Feb 6th, 1999, 03:25 PM
Gabriela

Thanks for the info! Do you think you office-mate meant there is no elevator (lift) in the hotel? Or maybe just steps around Venice in general?? I'm trying to figure out how many suitcases I should take.

Old Feb 7th, 1999, 06:34 AM
Beth

He was talking about there being no lift in the hotel. He said it didn't bother them much except for when they arrived with their suitcases. I'm not sure exactly how many stories they had to climb, but my impression was even the lowest rooms were a few flights up.

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 08:00 PM
Anna

My husband and I stayed at the Locanda Sturion on our honeymoon in 1997. It was wonderful, I would definitely stay there again. We had a huge room overlooking the Grand Canal with two windows for L320,000. The rooms were elegant with the wallpaper matching the bedspreads and carved wooden headboards. It was amazing to open up the windows and watch all of the boats going by and to lean out and see the Rialto Bridge, so I would definitely splurge for one of the two rooms over the Grand Canal. The room was air conditioned and had a modern bathroom including a hairdryer and bidet. The only down side is that there is NO elevator, you have to go up 3 or 4 flights of stairs to get to the hotel so pack light - no more than one suitcase or you will never make it up! I had a backpack and was struggling. Feel free to email me or post a question here, I'll see if my husband can scan in some of our pictures from the Sturion and post them on our webpage: <BR>www.execpc.com/~nkersten <BR>

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 11:17 AM
gabriela

Thanks for the info! It just so happens I can't get a room with a view of the Canal! Would you stay there anyways? I have til Thursday to book!! <BR>

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 02:14 PM
anna

Gabriela, <BR>I guess it would depend on the room rate, and the difference between it and that of the Canada. I went to a website (http://www.travel-italy.com/hotels/h...ice/index.html) where both were listed with photos and prices. The description of the rooms at the Canada says they are "basic." So if the price difference isn't too much, I'd choose the Sturion. The breakfast room has windows over the canal and is elegant compared to that of the Canada. One possibility is that there may be a cancellation at the last minute and maybe you could upgrade to a room over the Canal. Rick Steve's covers both in his Italy guidebook, so either one should be fine. <BR> <BR>Have you emailed the Sturion directly? I have their email address as [email protected] (from my 1997 brochure). We telephoned a few days ahead of time and were able to get the room, I think there may have been a cancellation. <BR>Tel. 041-5236243 Fax 5228378 <BR>Are you booking directly or through an agency? The desk clerks were fluent in English.