Search

Venice Ghetto?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 09:13 AM
Faye

Venice Ghetto?

I was told I am staying in the "Jewish Ghetto" part of Venice. I don't have the hotel name yet from my travel agent, but <BR>I didn't know there was a Jewish Ghetto, <BR>I assume she means an ancient area.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 09:19 AM
Book Chick

Faye, <BR>You're going to be staying in a section of Venice with historical significance. The first Jewish ghetto in Europe was in Venice & its existence was mandated by a papal edict. This area, of course, is no longer a Jewish ghetto, but there is a plaque stating that the area you're entering is a historical part of the city & the plaque gives a bit of info on the Jewish ghetto. <BR>Buon Viaggio, <BR>BC

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 09:36 AM
Capo

Hi Faye. In addition to what Book Chick said, the word "ghetto" comes from the word "foundry", since there was (I believe) a foundry in the area in Venice that became the first ghetto. (There's also a former ghetto in Rome, which was also created by a papal edict. Funny thing how Christians, who had been persecuted by the Romans, turned around and persecuted the Jews.) <BR> <BR>From Websters... <BR> <BR>Etymology: Italian, from Venetian dialect <I>ghèto</I> island where Jews were forced to live, literally, foundry (located on the island), from <I>ghetàr</I> to cast, from Latin <I>jactare</I> to throw. <BR> <BR>If you're interested, here's a website about it... <BR> <BR>http://www.venice-ghetto.com/venice-ghetto/welcome.html

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 09:40 AM
elaine

Faye <BR>I don't know every square inch of the Ghetto, but I'm not aware of any hotels right in the Ghetto--maybe there's a B&B <BR>I'm not aware of. The Ghetto dates from the 16th century--didn't stop being one until Napoleon's time, I believe. It is still the home to Venice's synagogues,and a Jewish museum. <BR>Odds are the hotel is nearby somewhere in Cannaregio, the section (sestiere) of <BR>Venice that includes the Ghetto and quite a bit more, including the train station. <BR>I'm confused as to how your agent made the hotel arrangements without your knowing anything at all about the hotel--you are very trusting, more so than I would be. Unless you are taking a tour that has no hotel choice at all, <BR>I think it always helps to do a little finding out on your own as to where the hotel is and what it's like. When you find out the name, and if you still have any flexibility and want comments, run it by this forum again. <BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 09:57 AM
Faye

I am sorry I wasnt very clear. I had requested a B&B in Venice, and she found me one in this section. By the way where is it exactly? I still have options, and she hasn't returned my calls yet.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:08 AM
Capo

Here's a map of Venice. You can click on any of the six sections to enlarge them. I think the section you're staying in would be the upper left one (if you enlarge it and scroll, you'll see the word Ghetto.) <BR> <BR>http://lxtosh.ifsi.rm.cnr.it/SZ/supe...venice_map.htm

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:19 AM
Book Chick

Faye, <BR>Yes, it is fairly close to the train station, as there were gates to that part of the city at one time & the gates could be & were locked. <BR> <BR>Jews were for some time banned from living in Venice (prior to the papal edict)& were only allowed into the town during business hours for trade purposes. After the edict, Jews could live in the ghetto & practice certain trades (medicine, banking, investing) in any part of Venice, but they had to wear a yellow Star of David, which was then switched to a yellow beret, and after some years switched to a red beret. The ghetto proper had curfew & the gates of the ghetto would be locked at a certain hour each evening. There's still a Jewish cemetary on the Lido. <BR>BC

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:26 AM
Faye

And that is why you are known as the Book Chick. Thanks both of you. I will look into this, I appreciate your time.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:29 AM
Book Chick

Faye, <BR>You're most welcome, that's what we're here for. (And my fellow posters on this thread I found very knowledgeable also.) <BR>BC

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:34 AM
Capo

As a tangent, I was watching a show on the Champs Elysees (part of PBS's "Great Streets" series) a while ago and they mentioned that the name of the Lido nightclub in Paris was taken from the Lido near Venice, since the Lido nightclub apparently used to have a pool inside of it.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:45 AM
Book Chick

Capo, <BR>Was that the one with Halle Berry? I did see it too, although I hope to have better fish than the McDonald's "original bun" fish sandwich she had on the Champs Elysee on my upcoming trip! <BR>BC

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:54 AM
Capo

BC, Oui, that was the one! When I first saw that Halle Berry was the "guide", I was a little skeptical, but I thought she did an excellent job. (It was fun to see the looks she got from Parisians, who are, of course, tremendous movie aficionados.) <BR> <BR>Another thing I remember from that show was how Paris "reclaimed" the Champs Elyees from the automobile by creating those expansive sidewalks. Can you imagine a city in the U.S. doing something like that?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:58 AM
Book Chick

Actually, yes, the University of Michigan campus has done that, creating or re-creating two pedestrian "malls" in the past few years to reduce auto traffic on the campus & make it more bicycle-friendly for faculty & students! <BR>BC

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 11:20 AM
Faye

Ms. Book Chick, yes, you are right, I thank all of you, it is a facinating subject (Ghetto, I mean, I didn't see the movie you are talking about).

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 11:33 AM
Book Chick

Faye, <BR>Capo & I were discussing a series PBS has been running. They select prominent, well-known streets in large, well-known cities & discuss the historical & cultural significance & evolution of the street. It's really been pretty cool, but we kind of had a side discussion on the one that was on the Champs Elysee in Paris, hosted by Halle Berry. Not sure what else they have on tap for future of the series, but the couple I've seen have in pretty good, so if you have any interest in that kind of stuff, check out PBS. <BR> <BR>Yeah, Venice is great. A lot of people think it's enough that it looks magical, but its so very rich in history. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip! <BR>BC

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:02 PM
Rod Hoots

There is a square in what used to be the ghetto area, with a small museum that offers tours of the museum and two synagogues that are still there. Very interesting, don't miss it. Ask at your B & B and they will tell you where it is. If your travel agent has access to B & B's in Venice, will you have her contact me, please? <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 10:16 AM
Joe

The area still has a very Jewish Presence, cafes, shops, the Synagoges, etc. Don't miss the guided tours of the Synagoges; actually three Synagoges, one Italian, one Spanish and one French. It is interesting to see the difference. There are English Tours periodically. We are not Jewish, but we found the tour and this area very interesting. Found a great Jewish Cafe for lunch. Name escapes me, but I could find it if you are interested. Area away from the Synagoges is very non-touristy. Easy walk to Ca d'Oro Area. Mostly Italian Tourists here. Not far from Rialto Bridge and open market. Walking is easy in Venice. You will have to take one of the little row boat ferries across the Canal. <BR> <BR>A minor point: since almost all the hotels offer breakfast with your room, a B&B doesn't necessarally offer an advantage.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 10:25 AM
Capo

In case anyone's interested, there's an excellent book -- unfortunately out of print -- called <I>Europe's Jewish Quarters</I> by Matthew Reisz.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 10:48 AM
Book Chick

Joe, could the restaurant/cafe have been the Gam Gam? They're a kosher Italian place & the local synagogue supports & patronizes enthusiastically their business. <BR> <BR>Also, for folks interested in the book Capo mentioned, you may want to try Harvest Book Search, through Borders.com or BookLook at 800-223-0540. Both companies specialize in used, but good editions of out-of-pint books. <BR>BC

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 12:01 PM
Joe

Book Chick: Gam Gam it is. Food was good. Lots of vegetarian offreings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -