Venice for Honeymoon

Sep 15th, 1999, 12:15 PM
Amy

Venice for Honeymoon

We are planning a honeymoon in early May 2000 for 9 days in the Venice area, but would also like to see some countryside without changing hotels. What is the best, most romantic hotel in Venice, and what are a couple outstanding day trips that can be done by car or train from there? Also any other ideas appreciated. Thank you!

Sep 15th, 1999, 02:18 PM
Carol

Hi Amy:

We were in Venice this past May (one of the most romantic, wonderful cities in the world), and although we didn't stay there, we thought the Hotel Flora was very charming and quaint. It is very close to San Marco. A website for the hotel is:

http://www.hotelinformation.com/html...lora/index.htm

Also, check: www.venere.it for other hotels in Italy.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!
Carol

Sep 15th, 1999, 02:38 PM
Paulo

Carol's suggestion has also my vote
As for daytrips, you may drive:
to Cortina and the Dolomites (3 1/2hrs slow leisurely drive, 1:50 the fast way back)
to Verona (1:15 hr one way Autostrada)
to the Brenta Valley and it's villas

To Verona you may also catch the train. To Cortina there may be organized bus tours also.

Paulo

Sep 16th, 1999, 11:09 AM
Mark

Why not stay at one of the hotels on the Lido? Exploring Venice is an easy quick boat trip any time of the day or night, and if you are looking to do some driving, jumping off from the hotel seems a lot more fun than navigating your way into and out of the tranchetto garage.

Sep 16th, 1999, 12:03 PM
Diane

Check out the Villa Cipriani (I'm sure I'm spelling is wrong). It's a Sheraton Hotel and is outside the city.

Sep 16th, 1999, 12:12 PM
Diane

1. I spelled it correctly: Hotel Villa Cipriani.
2. Look it up at http://www.ittsheraton.com
Where it says state or country, type in Italy
Literature says this is a 31 room 15th century retreat. In Asolo.
For information about Asolo, go to
http://www.comune.asolo.tv.it

Sep 16th, 1999, 12:29 PM
KT

To clarify: There are several Cipriani hotels, all originally owned by the same family, though I don't know about their various corporate affiliations now. The Hotel Villa Cipriani in Asolo is about 40 km from Venice. The one in Venice, the Hotel Cipriani, is on the island of Giudecca. Both of these are supposed to be quite wonderful, but I've never been to either, as they are afar, far, beyond my budget until I win the lottery. There is also the more modest Locanda Cipriani on the island of Torcello in the Venetian lagoon.

Sep 16th, 1999, 02:58 PM
Becky

There are many small, charming hotels in Venice and also many day trips. Do you want countryside or culture...museums, I mean. I was in Venice in May also, and too day trips to Ferrara, Verona and Bologna by train. The train is so easy and no worry about driving and parking. We bought out tickets at the AmEX office. I don't know if we paid more or not, but some trains require reservations. The took care of evrything and if we paid $5 more, so what. It was worth not having the hassle. Try the Hotel San Stefano, Pensione Academia, Hotel American, Hotel La Fenice; have dinner at Harry's Dolce and enjoy Florians and all the wonderful music in the Piazza at night. GO TO TORCELLO! Ciao and have fun.

Sep 16th, 1999, 04:59 PM
Rod Hoots

What a wonderful place to honeymoon! You don't say what your budget is, but if you're interested in "the best" hotels, you want to check out the Cipriani (in Venice), Danieli, and Gritti Palace. For a romantic honeymoon, I would recommend the Cipriani - it's in the city, but feels very secluded. It has free elegant motor launch service to the Excelsior Hotel on Lido (itself very elegant and romantic) and San Marco Square. The Asolo and Locanda Cipriani hotels are too far out of the city to be practical. Agree with the above comments about using the train for day trips to the places mentioned - you can even take in Florence in one long day. You can buy your reserved seat tickets before you leave (check raileurope.com). Enjoy!

Sep 16th, 1999, 08:12 PM
Robyn

We are also planning a trip to Italy for our honeymoon in late March 2000. I have been doing a lot of research just by asking friends what was their experience like in Italy. We originally thought of going only to the larger cities and after talking to so many people we have decided to hit a couple of smaller medieval(sp) towns in northern Italy. We are currently thinking of 3 days in Venice, 2 days in Lucca (I have a friend that just went on and on about it.), 4 days in Florence and 3 days in Rome. I would be happy to speak with you anytime and maybe we can compare notes with what we are planning. The rates for some of the hotels mentioned are a little out of our price range. But Venice is very expensive from what I understand and that is why we have opted for a little "tour" instead. We hope to be able to see "real" Italy while staying in some nicer places. Just a thought. Best Wishes. Robyn

Sep 17th, 1999, 12:31 PM
Barbara

Amy,

I think the best way to choose a hotel in Venice is to consult the Karen Brown Guides to Italy, as the emphasis is on ambience. She even describes the rooms and tells you which are the best ones. We've never been disappointed anywhere using her two guides. And they cover all price ranges. From Venice you can visit all of the Veneto region.

Sep 18th, 1999, 08:53 AM
Dennis

Amy,
My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Metropole in Venice (near San Marco) for two nights in the middle of July. We both liked it very much. The rooms were charming and the staff was helpful.

Good luck!

Sep 27th, 1999, 08:38 PM
Tom

I'd recommend either the Europa & Regina or the Excellsior (Lido) Both are great luxury properties, part of the Starwood Luxury Collection, and there's a free boat that transports you back and forth all day. You have full useage of both hotels including a cabana on the Lido beach if you stay in venice. I would not recommend Hotel Danieli, although it is very pretty, it is in a very noisey, congested area...Hotel Europa & Regina is in a much better location...yet still very close to St. Marks. If you want mostly quiet and a private beach, I'd go with the Excellsior. Tom

Search this Thread