Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice food advice: Ai Gondolieri, Al Covo, or Antica Besseta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Alice

WHich one of those three would you recommend for a romantic meal? Quality of the food is obviously highly important! Sorry to be bugging this forum in desperate search for the perfect night out!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:00 AM
Julie

I've only eaten at Ai Gondelieri and while food was good, I wouldn't call the decor romantic, more like serviceable.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Mary

We ate at Ai Gondolieri - I wouldn't say 'servicable' but nice (linen cloths, good glasses and lovely service) and the food was stunning. The tables are quite close together however. Didn't eat at the others so can't comment - sorry

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:23 PM
dan

Antica Besseta was recommended to us by the desk clerk at the Carlton Executive as a good restaurant frequented by locals rather than tourists. However, we thought our meal there was only adequate. It's also not especially romantic. It's OK and will do in a pinch, but I wouldn't go there for a special evening.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 07:12 PM
dean

I ahven't been to your proposed three. But if you are looking for stunning food and wine, my pick is to go to Fiascheteria Toscana. Ask to sit upstairs with Roberto as your waiter. The seafood is superb and the wime list one of the best in Venezia. The tables are close and there can be a little bustle.<BR><BR>The menu changes daily. If they ahve eel try it. The whole fish is super and we love the razor clams as an appetizer. The food is well seasoned and the fish as fresh as can be. The pastas never live up to the fish antipasti or the secondi so you may want to skip that course. Try a white wine from the Alto Adige or Friuli and a red from Dal Forno Romano. Expensive but worth it. The cheese cours will be one fo the greatest you have ever had. I have been in the wine and cheese business for over 20 years and this is one of the great food experiences of my life. I have been back 5 times.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 09:18 AM
kathyborn

We ate at Al Covo last week. It was quite full so you must make a reservation. It's rather elegant in a low key way. It's in a quiet little campo in Castello a short walk from San Mark's Square. The food was good but not truly outstanding. I had oysters, my husband a nice chicken broth soup with bread crumb noodles. We both had fish (monkfish and sea bass which was cooked with wilted spinach. I wish I had ordered the fresh sardines as they looked good. We also ate the Poste Vecie near the Rialto fish market and I would recommend that as well for a special dinner. Very good, old fashioned place, also elegant but in more of an old world way. Reminded me of the old time French restaurants in the NYC of my youth in the 50's and 60's. We sat next to the fireplace. They had complimentary prosecco waiting for us when we sat down, even for our 16 year old daughter and her friend. They were thrilled. I'll post a short trip report in a few days, but for now let me give thanks to Ruth (Boleskine) and Shannon for all their restaurant recommendations in this group. I don't know what we have done without them! Kathy

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Dean

I have eaten at Poste Vecche. I think that the above writter captures it well. the service is formal and old fashioned, the atmosphere more serene and old world. but the food is not as good as at other places I have tried. In particular, in addition to Fiaschetteria Toscana, Alla Testerie is also a much more modern and tastier place. Both had fresher fish and both had more defined presentations that set off the fish and not covered it up. But both are much more hectic places.