Wine tasting in Bordeaux?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would one arrange to visit one of the grand crux vineyards (e.g. Chateau Mouton Rothschild), particularly if one is not a wine merchant? I'm interested in sampling what others consider a good wine, without having to spend $100 on a bottle that is, after all, a sample/experiment.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomboy:

You have to call them. I do not know about e-mail or how much it is monitored.

You must be patient and they do not always have space on the day or at the time that fits your schedule.
It is not like here where you can play it by ear, wing it, or hope to go in with the "group".

Your comment about the $100.00 etc. leads me to suggest that you skip CMR and go to the numerous smaller wineries and the other excellent medium and large
wineries. You will find good wine and fun times at many of the wineries in Bordeaux where you might just drive up and sample/experiment.

Maybe before you go you could do some of your own Bordeaux tasting "at home", select the wineries that you like and then make your contacts with those wineries for sample/experiment.

You need to know that the "grand crux vineyards" include rather long, detailed and intensive tours with their tastings. A signifiacnt amount of your travel time will be needed. If you are not really "into" French wines or the Bordeaux wines then you might be bored silly.

Finally, I would not suggest you buy any wine in France unless you absolutely could not get it in your country. The airlines are HORRIBLE about excess weight, delicate carry-ons and believe it or not the may force you to check your wine which totally screws it up because if the climate underneath the plane where the heavy luggage bags are...the way things are thrown around is also a consideration and I could go on and on. The arbitrary nature of the TSA's have left many with their bottles being reluctantly "gifted" to said security agents...I'll stop.

I am not a wine merchant, just an avid collector who travels the world tasting wine, God willing, when I can with my husband.

Oh, if you do a search on this site you will find numerous post on Bordeaux.

Enjoy!

P.S. CMR is simply awesome!
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 08:09 PM
rex

I admit that I am quite biased on this, but my bias IS based on at least some experience - - I recommend starting with one or more good boutiques du vin in Bordeaux - - not hard to find - - and tasting, learning, buying with a good and empathetic proprietor. Then, perhaps, he might be able to recommend some places to arrange visits.

I just can't get enthused about visits to a (single) property to tour/taste/buy their stuff. Naturally, they only have ONE brand - - their own!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 10:56 PM

Oaktown Traveler - Maybe I was lucky, but I just flew home 2 weeks ago from the Bordeaux region with wine and had no problem. We had five bottles of wine from small wineries (not available in the US) and divided it up among us (three people) to carry on. The security people didn't give the bottles a second glance and the airlines said nothing. We flew Air France Bordeaux to CDG and then American from CDG back to San Diego, checking customs in Dallas. I will admit they were a pain to carry but I was enjoying some of the wine this evening. Worth the extra weight!!

My friends living in Bordeaux did e-mail me after I got home with the wine suggesting that we let it sit for 3-4 weeks after traveling (especially the red wine). I did have one bottle of white that I had already opened so that's what I was drinking. I am not a wine collector like you so don't know how much truth there is to letting the wine sit. If you have other advice on that, let me know.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 02:27 AM
ira

Hi tb,

Here is a link to arranging chateau visits.

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~visi-vin...whoumon_e.html
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Paula:

I like your luck. Actually for France my husband and I have been "lucky" too. A friend just came back a month ago and was not so lucky..."we" were on "high/red" alert at that time so maybe that was a part of it for her. She simply exited the airport and proceeded to smash her bottles against the curb as opposed to giving them to the airline folks.

On letting the wines sit it really depends on which wines you bought, the vintage, year and about a handful of other "eye-ball-rollers" can effect your decision...

We are still letting some of our wines from our trips to Bordeaux et.al "sit" or "lay down". We have also "cellared" some.

My rule, which makes hubby crazy, is if you want to drink it then drink it.

Now the ones that are suppose to "age beautifully" have been "catalogued" by the year that we should start "looking" to open, breethe, decant,blah-blah...
The vast majority of our wines are not in this high maintenance category.

Since you hand carried your wines I would say that they are fine to open as you wish...for fun do a google search on your wine and read what the "experts" opinions are on when it is best to drink your specific French finds...I do this for fun sometimes to see what the "real" wine-o's have to say.

Happy swigging and swirling!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Hello Rex:

I wanted to add that many of said wine proprietors, winemakers, etc. are indeed she's as well as he's...smile.

My Best,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Rather than going to a vineyard, consider tasting the wine in Bordeaux. You would have a greater selection. There are a few merchants where you can taste the wine near the allée de Tournay.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:43 AM

You can also visit St. Emilion (about 30 minute drive from Bordeaux). It is a wonderful town that is great to visit and is surrounded by small wineries. They do a train tour of the wineries I think through May-Sept. You can also do wine tasting in St. Emilion. Do a search here for the town, I loved it and everyone seems to like it also. You can check it out at
http://www.saint-emilion-tourisme.com

Oaktown Traveler - Thanks for the advice. I like your style "if you want to drink it, then drink it". My bottles are not that high maintenance. I just liked the wine and knew I couldn't get it here in the US. Don't think any of my wine is in the category of "eye-ball rolling" decisions LOL.

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Paula:

You are most welcome...thanks for the laugh...almost "wine-time" for me here in the VERY HOT California Bay Area.

I Love St. Emilion too! Great suggestion.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Oaktown - Enjoy your wine. It is also very hot here in San Diego County but we expect it in September while it is much rarer in the Bay Area. Doesn't make it any easier to bear especially since I don't have AC. September is usually the one time I need it...but this week, boy do I need it.

I was in Costco today and saw a St. Emilion Red wine. Was in a hurry so didn't buy it but will go back to check it out. My friends own a house in St. Foy (about 20 min from St. Emilion) surrounded by all the vineyards. I spent a few days there in August after being in Paris (my first time visiting France). I absolutely feel in love with it. I am anxious to go back and spend more time there.