Reload this Page >

Venice Day trips?

Search

Venice Day trips?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Amy

Venice Day trips?

We were thinking of staying near Venice for 3 days. Any day trips that might be of interest to children?

Old May 13th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Rex

In general, I am not a fan of day trips into Venice. Some of the best hours of the day in Venice are shortly after getting out of bed and just before going to bed. <BR> <BR>The ages of the kids MIGHT influence my answer (and whether they have seen Venice before or not) - - but probably not. <BR> <BR>Verona is a friendly city (except for the rush hour traffic sometimes), and the Arena (almost as big as the Colosseum in Rome - - and, unlike the Colosseum - - in very functional, usable condition). <BR> <BR>Where else are you going? In other parts of Europe what kinds of destinations do you anticipate will appeal to your children. If I knew that, I might come up with answers that fit similar tastes. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 13th, 2001, 05:48 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Amy <BR>Verona as forementioned in a very good one, might add a half day to the small <BR>town of Padua, its Basilica, the Scrovengi Chapel and Caffe Pedrocci <BR>and just a short half hour out of Venice. Also Torcello and its cathedral and museo can be of interst along with <BR>Locanda Cipriani for lunch. <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old May 13th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Chels

I just travelled to Venice in November. Venice was our first stop, and a brief stop at that. We landed in Venice on Sat. afternoon, and departed Sunday night. With that caveat (it was a SHORT stay!), I must say that the day trip to Morano, Torcello, and Burano, 3 small islands off of Venice, was well worth the inexpensive price. (Length, around 2 - 6 p.m. - You can pick it up outside the Danielli hotel on the dock.) Because of our short stay, it was easier to have transpo already arranged, and we experienced a nice flavour outside of the hustle and bustle of Venice. Granted, the 3 islands consist of a visit to a glass factory (yes, they want you to buy), an island with a church to view, and an island that boasts its lace making (again, buy!). But, the travel between islands and the whole flavour were well worth it for time considerations. We did the Venetian sights (what we could) on our own. But sometimes it is worth letting someone else take over simply for time considerations. Not everyone likes guided tours, but you cannot beat some of them for time considerations. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:57 AM
Paulo

Having only 3 days in Venice, Amy, I also don't recommend daytripping out from the lagoon. On the other hand, with 3 days I consider spending an afternoon in the lagoon a must. In my experience, visiting all 3 of the major islands (Murano-glass, Burano-lace and Torcello-nostalgia) is to much. Personally I love the Burano-Torcello combo best. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:59 AM
Paulo

Excuse me, Amy, I should learn to read things more carefully. Where exactly are you staying near Venice and what's your mode of transportation? <BR> <BR>Paulo