Venice - Cannaregio restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying for 2 nites (a Mon and Tues) in a B&B in Cannaregio and would like some restaurant recommendations. We don't mind spending money on good food but don't want tourist spots with a menu in 4 different languages. We'd prefer to find out of the way, reasonably priced trattorias so any recommendations are welcome. Would also like to find out where the markets (food) are in this district as we have access to a small kitchen.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:12 PM

What is the B&B? I ask because several years ago at a B&B in Cannaregio called Casa Martini, the owners sent us to a couple great little "hole in the wall" places on back canals/rios that we never would have found on our own.

So, you could be lucky and get good recommendations from your B&B to start.

At work now, but I will dig out the names of the places we went to later and respond again.

I have stayed in three areas of Venice, enjoying each one, and I liked the local aspect of Cannaregio (once away from the immediate trains station area)very much. We were not far from the Jewish ghetto, where I know I have read on this forum about some places to eat there...
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM

We stayed in an apartment in the Cannaregio area on our last visit so I can tell you where a great grocery store is and a restaurant that we frequented often.

For the grocery store, "Billa," head east on Strada Nova from the area of San Marcuola. Once you cross a couple of bridges (as they always say in Venice) you will see it on your left hand side. It's pretty big as far as Venetian grocery stores go, so you can't miss it. You could always ask someone where it is along the way, but it's not too terribly far past the San Marcuola area. I'm thinking it can't be any farther than Santa Sofia at the farthest, if you have a map. Bring along a fold up rolling bag for toting the heavier items back to your apartment.

One of the moderate restaurants that we really enjoyed was Pizzaria La Serenissima located right on Strada Nova and Calle Columbina near San Marcuola. We often noticed a lot of locals there and they had a good variety of typical Venetian food. We ate there more than once, and enjoyed it each time (this was last October). The name implies that it's more of a take away pizza place, but it was actually a moderate restaurant with a very attentive staff. Outdoor and indoor seating is available.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the tips. We are staying at B&B Sandra in Cannaregio (Sept. 19 thru Sept. 24). I have a large list of restaurants from haunting this board but it will be nice to have as we roam around (and I think we will be casual roamers while there). Leaving tomorrow for Lakes district (then Dolomites & Venice). Will report when we return! Shirley
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at a B&B call Al Saor. Still looking for some more restaurant recommendations - we leave this Tues!