Reload this Page >

Venice and/or Florence--guidance needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 11:01 AM
Debra Silver

I Have tix to Venice over Thanksgiving for a week's trip. SHould I stay in Venice the whole time or combine it with FLorence or another city?

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 11:34 AM
hamlet

One week is a long time for Venice, give yourself 2 full days there and then definitely go somewhere else.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 11:39 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Debra <BR>Having seven days would split it evenly <BR>between Venice and Firenze with a day <BR>of traveling on the 4th day. Would <BR>not try a third as that would be cutting <BR>it too short. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, IL....

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 11:45 AM
Carol

Hi Debra: <BR> <BR>If you're an art lover, you may find that you want to stay in Venice the whole time. If not, you might want to stay up north and do a couple of day trips--e.g., Verona, Padua. Or follow Richard's advice and split the trip between Venice and Florence. But I think I'd play it by ear, and not book anything else until I'd been in Venice.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 11:45 AM
Carol

Hi Debra: <BR> <BR>If you're an art lover, you may find that you want to stay in Venice the whole time. If not, you might want to stay up north and do a couple of day trips--e.g., Verona, Padua. Or follow Richard's advice and split the trip between Venice and Florence. But I think I'd play it by ear, and not book anything else until I'd been in Venice.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 12:41 PM
Gina

Couldn't disagree with hamlet more--we had three days in Venice and it wasn't enough. I could've easily filled another two days. I'd say base yourself in Venice (even though it's expensive to stay there, to me the most wonderful part of Venice is being there in the very early morning and late in the evening, after the daytrippers have gone) for the entire time, and take some day trips to Verona and Padua as Carol says. <BR> <BR>And can I say I'm horribly jealous and want to hide in your suitcase?

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 12:58 PM
Carol

And take a gondola ride at night when it's dark. Magical despite the 1,000 gondoliers singing "O sole mio".

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 01:41 PM
Carol

Hi Debra: <BR> <BR>Lucky you!! <BR> <BR>If it were me (and a tough choice it would be), I'd split my time between Venice and Florence. I'm assuming you've been to neither city. <BR> <BR>Venice is pure magic - I could easily stay there a week, but Florence is also magical and has art that is spectacular. <BR> <BR>Wherever you end up, have a wonderful time!! <BR>Carol <BR>

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 06:47 PM
bertie

A question (and comment, I guess): why is it that no one ever recommends a drive up to the Dolomites from Venice, perhaps a stay one night in Cortina d'Ampezzo? Very beautiful, relaxing (great skiing in winter).

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 12:54 PM
lisa

I would split the time equally between Venice and Florence, or spend 4 days in Venice and 3 days in Florence (I liked Venice marginally better but both are wonderful and so different from each other!).

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 01:39 PM
Paulo

I would also suggest you play it by ear. Book all 7 nights in Venice. If you feel the urge to visit Florence you'll know it by the 3rd day. Cancel the reservations you won't need (depending on your flight out of Venice you may need a last night there) and just go. You won't need reservations in Florence. <BR> <BR>Concerning the Dolomiti and Cortina, Bertie, I agree with you. The problem is that's awkward to do it by train/bus and organized tours might be a pain. It's almost mandatory you do it by car. If one already has one, no swet. Renting for a single day there are a few inconvenients: is relatively expensive, paperwork, you have to be back at office hours to return the car or pay one night garage, etc. Two days' rental and a night in Cortina would work nicely, though. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 03:50 PM
Mike Miller

Just back from a 10 day Italy trip. First two days were in Venice and we easily could have done 2 more. Eat at least one meal at the Madonna Restaurant. It is near the Rialto Bridge. Go a little early to avoid a line. Also went to Florence and spent 1 day there. We could easily do 4 or 5 days in Florence.

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 04:35 PM
Sara

I think you should at least consider visiting another city. On a recent trip, I spent 2 1/2 days in Venice and felt it was plenty to do what I was interested in doing. You need 3-4 days to really see all of the major sights in Florence, plus do some shopping (which is fun to do there for gold and leather). <BR> <BR>But, it is obviously a personal thing and depends upon the kind of trip you would like to have. I would consult the guidebooks, and get a sense of what each place you are considering has to offer and see whether that meets your interests. I would also take into account what the weather is usually like in Venice at the end of November. If it usually rains a good deal, you might prefer not to spend your entire time there. <BR>

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 06:53 PM
Diane

A couple of years ago I spent four nights in Venice. I could easily spent another four. It was just wonderful. If you base yourself one place you could spend time sightseeing, shopping, peoplewatching and relaxing. You could also take some day trips out of the city. I for one hate running around trying to fit everything into a tight schedule. It's so much nicer to take a little time and appreciate what you're seeing/doing.

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 07:24 PM
Bobby Ghosh

Debra, <BR>DEFINITELY combine Venice with Florence (I'd day 3 days at the first and 4 at the second). As lovely as Venice is, there's not a whole lot to do. Florence, on the other hand, offers a wide range of museums and monuments -- plus a variety of Tuscan towns that are just a couple of hours away. <BR>Bobby

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 01:28 PM
andrea

Try not to be in Florence on a Monday-museums are closed. I agree with some of the other replies-try to see more of the country-the train is very reasonable (even for 1st class). Pisa is pretty close too!

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 11:12 AM
Ruth

Our first trip to Italy last year--Venice, Modena, Florence, Tuscany and Rome. I must be one of the few people who liked Florence better than Venice. May have had something to do with the weather and huge crowds in Venice--a weekend in mid-September--but nothing in my art appreciate experience has compared to seeing the David. So I'd vote to split your time if you think that would appeal to you.

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 02:32 PM
targetone

i thank you for idea but i want spend my holidays during 28.12-3or4or other january 2000.My preferences are also to stop in a town as cannes and similary during the travel.If anyone want same travel iwait for a contact at my e-mail.Touring operators may write for occasion . targetone

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 02:46 PM
targetone

hi debra and all friends of venice and florence.i^m a man that knows well what you want visit.i am looking for my messages every day and i may reply very fast when you define about travel. bye, targetone.

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 08:39 AM
Debra Silver

Thanks everyone,and the trip got pushed to May so I have a little more time to plan.