Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice and Florence-Lodging for Three Adults

Venice and Florence-Lodging for Three Adults

Old Nov 23rd, 2022, 12:28 PM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice and Florence-Lodging for Three Adults

Hello all,

I am looking for recommendations on lodging in these two locations, for three nights in each locale. Three adults seems a bit more difficult to find and it being my adult daughter's first time I would love your help in finding something nice, but not overly expensive.

Grazie tante in advance!
galelstorm is offline  
Old Nov 24th, 2022, 07:02 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 28,186
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No firsthand help here, but have you tried googling "triple room venice" and Florence? Hope more responses come up..
TDudette is online now  
Old Nov 24th, 2022, 10:28 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 56,587
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Galestorm. What sort of places are you looking for? Because Italian hotel rooms tend not to be that big, you won't find that many for 3, especially 3 adults. So you might have more luck with a double and a single or even a one bed apartment with a sofa bed. Booking.com is a good place to start or Trip adviser. When you have narrowed it down you could post the alternatives here and I'm sure that there will be some people who will be keen to help you.
annhig is offline  
Old Nov 25th, 2022, 12:33 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,240
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stayed here last month - after I was left stranded by a B & B cancelling on me at the last minute, I was the very first tenant. I was so grateful because Venice was basically “sold out.”

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7226134...4-3a436392abc4

There are two bedrooms (I only used one, the other had twin beds) and there is not much common area space, but for three people it could work very well and the price is right. It looks like his calendar is not open for much of 2023, but you could write him.

The location is excellent, but you need the vaporetto to get to some places.
rialtogrl is offline  
Old Nov 25th, 2022, 06:29 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,586
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I generally use booking.com to find lodging. It allows you to specify the number of people and the number of rooms, so if you select three people and one room, it will display only lodgings ( hotels, guest houses, apartments, etc.) suitable for your group. It has many other useful filters to help pin down exactly what you want; you can select "hotels" if that's the type of accommodation you prefer. If you have a preference for a particular neighborhood, you should indicate this in your destination, e.g., "Florence Duomo" rather than just "Florence". Otherwise specifying "Florence center" will weed out lodgings out in the boondocks.

Hint: don't filter on the number of stars, as this has little relationship to quality. For example, for an Italian hotel to have four stars, it has to have a dining room. There are tired, worn-out four-star hotels, and there are very nice three-star hotels with no dining room.

This past summer I stayed in Florence with my daughter, granddaughter, and a friend. We stayed at the two-star Hotel Berna, which was really more of a guesthouse than a hotel, because the reception desk was attended only when we arrived. It is a no-frills basic hotel, but it was perfectly clean and functional, with decent air conditioning. It has a tiny old-fashioned elevator, so you might have to take turns. We took the steps, except when we were transporting the suitcases.

Booking.com! https://www.booking.com/Share-fIVtSyk

It's very near the train station, a ten-minute walk from the Duomo. It's a little hard to find, as it's on an upper floor with a name on the bell, and a sign on that upper floor. I wrote a trip report about out trip this summer, and I just remembered that I hadn't included the Rome segment.

Florence in an eye-blink, Rome in a flash

I haven't been to Venice in a while, and the last time I was there, we had two double rooms in the Domus Ciliota, which I think was a former convent. I don't know if they have triples.

Last edited by bvlenci; Nov 25th, 2022 at 06:50 AM.
bvlenci is offline  
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 07:53 AM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,997
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider a ‘convent/monastery’, actually accomodations originally set up for pilgrims that are now places for anyone to stay. They usually have triples. In Venice we stayed at Istituto San Guiseppe, nicely located between Rialto Bridge and San Marco. In Florence we stayed at Casa per Fiore…Borgo Pinti. Our cab driver said it was the best lication in Florence, not far from the Duomo.

No need to be Roman Ctholic or even Chrristian to stay there. My wife and I can’t imagine staying elsewhere!
bigtyke is offline  
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 08:41 AM
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TDudette View Post
No firsthand help here, but have you tried googling "triple room venice" and Florence? Hope more responses come up..
Thank you TDudette, I’ll keep looking.
galelstorm is offline  
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 08:45 AM
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by annhig View Post
Hi Galestorm. What sort of places are you looking for? Because Italian hotel rooms tend not to be that big, you won't find that many for 3, especially 3 adults. So you might have more luck with a double and a single or even a one bed apartment with a sofa bed. Booking.com is a good place to start or Trip adviser. When you have narrowed it down you could post the alternatives here and I'm sure that there will be some people who will be keen to help you.
Annhig-I looked at Trip Advisor but haven’t tried Booking.com so will try there as well. We are family so one room isn’t out of the question.
galelstorm is offline  
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 08:51 AM
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rialtogrl View Post
I stayed here last month - after I was left stranded by a B & B cancelling on me at the last minute, I was the very first tenant. I was so grateful because Venice was basically “sold out.”

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7226134...4-3a436392abc4

There are two bedrooms (I only used one, the other had twin beds) and there is not much common area space, but for three people it could work very well and the price is right. It looks like his calendar is not open for much of 2023, but you could write him.

The location is excellent, but you need the vaporetto to get to some places.
rialtogirl-that place is beautiful but unfortunately booked for our time. I’ll check further on airbnb-thank you!
galelstorm is offline  
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 08:53 AM
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bvlenci View Post
I generally use booking.com to find lodging. It allows you to specify the number of people and the number of rooms, so if you select three people and one room, it will display only lodgings ( hotels, guest houses, apartments, etc.) suitable for your group. It has many other useful filters to help pin down exactly what you want; you can select "hotels" if that's the type of accommodation you prefer. If you have a preference for a particular neighborhood, you should indicate this in your destination, e.g., "Florence Duomo" rather than just "Florence". Otherwise specifying "Florence center" will weed out lodgings out in the boondocks.

Hint: don't filter on the number of stars, as this has little relationship to quality. For example, for an Italian hotel to have four stars, it has to have a dining room. There are tired, worn-out four-star hotels, and there are very nice three-star hotels with no dining room.

This past summer I stayed in Florence with my daughter, granddaughter, and a friend. We stayed at the two-star Hotel Berna, which was really more of a guesthouse than a hotel, because the reception desk was attended only when we arrived. It is a no-frills basic hotel, but it was perfectly clean and functional, with decent air conditioning. It has a tiny old-fashioned elevator, so you might have to take turns. We took the steps, except when we were transporting the suitcases.

Booking.com! https://www.booking.com/Share-fIVtSyk

It's very near the train station, a ten-minute walk from the Duomo. It's a little hard to find, as it's on an upper floor with a name on the bell, and a sign on that upper floor. I wrote a trip report about out trip this summer, and I just remembered that I hadn't included the Rome segment.

Florence in an eye-blink, Rome in a flash

I haven't been to Venice in a while, and the last time I was there, we had two double rooms in the Domus Ciliota, which I think was a former convent. I don't know if they have triples.
bvienci-thank you I will definitely check out your recommendations!
galelstorm is offline  
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 08:55 AM
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtyke View Post
Consider a ‘convent/monastery’, actually accomodations originally set up for pilgrims that are now places for anyone to stay. They usually have triples. In Venice we stayed at Istituto San Guiseppe, nicely located between Rialto Bridge and San Marco. In Florence we stayed at Casa per Fiore…Borgo Pinti. Our cab driver said it was the best lication in Florence, not far from the Duomo.

No need to be Roman Ctholic or even Chrristian to stay there. My wife and I can’t imagine staying elsewhere!
bigttke-I hadn’t thought of this and will gladly check your recommendations out!
galelstorm is offline  
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 12:31 AM
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,240
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galelstorm View Post
rialtogirl-that place is beautiful but unfortunately booked for our time. I’ll check further on airbnb-thank you!
When are you traveling? It is possible the owner has just not opened the calendar yet.
rialtogrl is offline  
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 08:18 AM
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rialtogrl View Post
When are you traveling? It is possible the owner has just not opened the calendar yet.
We will be there May 25, 26, & 27, 2023.
galelstorm is offline  
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 08:38 AM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,245
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
galelstoem- We have stayed in Florence at TOURIST HOUSE GHIBERTI BED & BREAKFAST FLORENCE. Room size was excellent and breakfast was provided.
Paqngo is online now  
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 09:04 AM
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pitti Palace Hotel (a stone's throw from the Ponte Vecchio on the "other side" of the Arno) has triples but it's a reasonably priced hotel and strongly suggest you get a double with an adjoining single -- that would give you more space plus two bathrooms, which come in handy when you're all getting ready to head out for the day.

We spent several nights there in early May and were pleasantly surprised. I went with a friend and we each booked a double room, single use. We spent a few euros extra to get view rooms so were on a higher floor (above most of the street noise) with a view of the Duomo from our nice balconies. Very comfortable bed. Breakfast on the top floor (with scenic views) was good and the staff were pleasant. We also liked that our rooms had plenty of storage. Decent bathroom products. You don't say when you will be traveling but it does have air conditioning, however it's turned on based on a calendar date and not the actual weather. So if you're traveling in warmer months and AC matters to you, ask them if it will be turned on when you're there. Downside: The elevator is small, so if you need to use it, you might have to wait a bit during busy periods. You can also take their so-called "fitness stairs" which are just ... stairs.

One other plus: on the mezzanine level they have a large, comfortable salon with plenty of seating and a WC. So if you've checked out and want to relax a little before heading to your next destination, it's a good spot.

https://www.hotel-bb.com/en/hotel/pi...-ponte-vecchio

WeisserTee is offline  
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 12:25 AM
  #16  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,240
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galelstorm View Post
We will be there May 25, 26, & 27, 2023.
the calendar appears to open three months in advance.
rialtogrl is offline  
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 02:27 AM
  #17  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,586
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't say when you will be traveling but it does have air conditioning, however it's turned on based on a calendar date and not the actual weather.
This is based on Italian law, not a whim of the hotel.

This year, because of the energy crisis, the heating season has been shortened, and the maximum temperature and number of hours have been reduced. I imagine there will be similar adjustments to the cooling season.

Italy is divided into climate zones, and each has different limits. In any case, unusual heat or cold in a specific area allows local governments to make temporary changes to the limits.
bvlenci is offline  
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 04:59 AM
  #18  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,154
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"This is based on Italian law, not a whim of the hotel." Did I say it was a hotel whim? I mentioned it only in passing in case the travelers are sensitive to hot weather.
WeisserTee is offline  
Old Nov 29th, 2022, 02:17 AM
  #19  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,586
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WeisserTee View Post
"This is based on Italian law, not a whim of the hotel." Did I say it was a hotel whim? I mentioned it only in passing in case the travelers are sensitive to hot weather.
I didn't accuse you of saying it. However, someone reading your comment could have interpreted it as a policy of the hotel. I merely wanted to clarify that.
bvlenci is offline  
Old Nov 29th, 2022, 10:56 AM
  #20  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This looks lovely, thank you, WeisserTee!
galelstorm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -