venice & florence in october

Jul 23rd, 1998, 07:38 AM
lucy

venice & florence in october

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Venice and Florence in mid-October. Can anyone tell me: would it be too cold or rainy (for Venice especially), and what are the best hotels and restaurants in both cities???? THANKS!

Jul 23rd, 1998, 08:49 AM
Richard Vicek

Good Morning, Lucy
Florence for October you can expect about six hours of sunshine, the second highest rain month of about 3 1/2 inches and temperature of 70 deg F and 55 deg
F for a low.
October for October, you can expect about six hours of sunshine, sixth highest rain month of about 3 inches and a temperature of 70 deg F and 55 deg F for a low.
As far as hotels can recommend two in different price ranges.Have used both over the years.
The SATURNIA , via XXII Marzo, 2398 San Marco,
tel 011-39-041-5208377 ([email protected]/
Four star hotel with 95 rooms located about two blocks west of the Pza S. Marco, priced over 300USD
per nite, double, etc.
The DO POZZI, calle Larga 22 Marzo, San Marco, 2373,
connected to rist. Da Raffalele with 10% sconto.
tel. 011-39-041-5207855 (no e-mail address)
Three star hotel with 29 rooms, located about 2 blocks west of the Pza S. Marco, priced about 180.USD, per nite.double.etc..
f you want a list of ristorante, kindly e-mail me and I will answer it further.
Here are a couple of Venice sites to surf.
www.mi.cnr.it/ www.mega.it/
www.writing.org/venice.htm www.geo.it/venezia
www.elmoro.com/ www.hotelinvenice.it/
www.florence.ala.it/ www.italink.com/
www.fioline.it/wel_eng.html
Good surfing, Richard of Hickory Hills, IL...

Jul 23rd, 1998, 10:54 AM
kam

So it might rain---but the best news is that most of the tourists have gone home!! Have been in Florence in October and Venice in April also during summer months to each. I prefer the cooler months even if there's chance of rain. In Florence we really like the Lungarno--across the river from the Ponte Vecchio. And, wonder of wonders--it has parking!! Pretty little hotel but no restaurant (lots in area though) includes a little bar area where breakfast is served.

Jul 30th, 1998, 08:28 AM
anne

We were there last Oct. and there were LOTS of tourists in both Florence and Venice. It was colder than where we're from (near DC) and we wore all our layers, and bought hats and scarves there.
In Venice we stayed in the lovely old Casa Verardo in the Castello district, near San Marco. It's a small charming place owned and run by a young couple. We had a huge room overlooking the canal, beautifully decorated with traditional Venetian painted furniture, and had breakfast in the lovely frescoed ballroom. Their phone is 011-39-41-528-6138.

Jul 30th, 1998, 07:38 PM
Donna

I love Venice any way, any day. We were in Venice late in October (28-31) last year, and had a marvelous time. It was cold and rainy. We toured the prison and imagined Casanova escaping on October 31 years ago. It was flooding through the plaza San Marco, and the wooden elevated walkways were set up and we walked on them. We used every layer of clothing we had with us, including gloves! The first part of our trip was 5 days in Provence and Nice area. To go from balmy to rainy in 2 days was quite a shock. Not many tourists. We loved stopping in the cafes for coffee, or for wine. It rained some every day, we had umbrellas.We braved it anyway. We stayed at the Danielli, got a great rate because of the time of year and because I asked for a discount. Now, I have been in Venice in April, September, and in October. I would love to go during Carnival. If you want to sit at outdoor tables, go in warmer weather. They don't put them out in October when it is cold. Just go with the attitude that this is definitely unique, and take gloves! Have a great time. Buy some original art and ship it home. CARRY YOUR GLASS HOME--impossible to get a settlement if your glass breaks in transit.