Search

Venice & Como

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 1999, 12:25 PM
Justin

Venice & Como

Any hotel recommendations in Venice for a honeymoon? (preferably in the **** range) Also had the good fortune to be able to choose between the Serbollini or the Villa d'Este in Bellagio(tough choice huh?) which would it be?

Old May 19th, 1999, 01:48 PM
elaine

Wow, what a honeymoon. <BR>I have not been to Bellagio but have friends who have stayed at Villa d'Este, and each has pronounced it perfect, a dream come true. <BR> <BR>In Venice, the best luxury hotels are generally said to be the Danieli, the Gritti Palace, the Cipriani, and, on the Lido, the Excelsior Palace and the Hotel des Bains. There are differing opinions on staying on the Lido. Some say it is inconvenient to go to and from the Lido to the heart of Venice; others like the Lido precisely because it is a little more secluded and away from the San Marco crowds. <BR>I have not stayed at any of these, but I have visited and dined at the Danieli and the Cipriani and can't imagine anything nicer. The Cipriani is on Giudecca island, a five minute boat ride from San Marco. The Cipriani runs its own launch from the hotel to a stop right next to San Marco, all night long,and it feels quite luxurious to ride in this elegant private launch to and from the hotel. <BR>The Hotel des Bains also runs its own launch, don't know about the Excelsior. <BR>

Old May 20th, 1999, 09:31 AM
Monica Richards

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Villa Serbollini on my honeymoon. It's a really nice hotel in an ideal location, but from what I hear the Villa d'Este is even more luxurious. But I don't believe the Villa d'Este is in Bellagio--I think it's down at the Southern (?) end of Lago di Como. I did see postcards of their grounds. If I had to choose, I would choose the Villa d'Este (not that the Serbollini wasn't great). Isn't the Villa d'Este about twice the price of the Serbollini, though?

Old May 20th, 1999, 12:20 PM
elaine

Monica is absolutely right, and I wasn't paying attention. <BR>Villa d'Este is at Cernobbio, just northwest of the town of Como <BR>

Old May 20th, 1999, 04:17 PM
justin

You're right. Villa d'este is twice the price and located in a different area. I don't know if one is in a better location than the other, therefore my choice is $300 per night at the serbollini vs. $600 per night at villa d'este. To add a new dimension of complexity, the per night rate at d'este includes one massage (per person) and 1 meal per person per day (either lunch or dinner). I'm not sure of the value of these extras to make the comparison or know whether I want to tie myself to eating meals at d'este rather than exploring freely. Anyone have thoughts???