Venice Airport to Piazzale Roma to San Stae Vaporetto Stop

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends of our are traveling with us in Italy, but not exactly the same timetable. Thursday, April 19th (in 2 days) we are leaving for Italy. They have changed their minds on getting a private water taxi from the airport to the San Stae stop (much too expensive).

Once they arrive at the airport, I told them to catch the bus right out front (Blue?), and to look for a large clock where the buses usually park.

The bus will take them to Piazzale Roma where they can catch Vaporetto No.1 to San Stae. Since they have never done this before, and will have luggage with them, I would like to make the directions as simple as possible.

Does Vaporetto No. 1 run in both directions at Pz. Roma on the GC? How to they identify which vaporetto to board for the shortest route to San Stae? I'd say the boat has to be going in the direction of the railroad station NOT toward Pz. San Marco.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM

I have done this several time. You have given them good directions. Ask if they are unsure when they are boarding the boat. The boat should be going to their right, not left is the only way I can describe it.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 01:10 PM

The stops are listed as you board-San Stae is a short distance past the stazione.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

rbnwdlr,

I got out my Linee di Navigazione water route, which is color coded. When they are standing on Piazzale Roma facing the water, Line No. 1 goes to the left toward the railroad station. You were very clear and emphasized NOT LEFT.

Help!
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Straight out the front door of the airport you will see a variety of bus stops. The blue ATVO express bus is just out front at the curb. There is a schedule and ticket machine right there. (You could also buy the tickets inside the airport to the left as you come out of baggage claim.) The orange ACTV local #5 bus is off to the left at the curb. The #5 bus is no longer included in a vaporetto pass. It now costs an additional fee which is the same as the ATVO bus.

Line 1 begins at Piazzale Roma, so there is only one direction from there. The Line 1 vaporetto will have a sign listing the direction of LIDO and will head to the RIGHT when viewed from the Piazzale Roma boat landing. Only Line 1 stops at both Piazzale Roma and San Stae. San Stae is the 4th stop from Piazzale Roma (Piazzale Roma; Ferrovia; Riva de Biasio; San Marcuola; San Stae).

"I'd say the boat has to be going in the direction of the railroad station NOT toward Pz. San Marco." I don't understand this statement. A Line 1 boat that goes from Piazzale Roma to San Marco ALWAYS passes the train station along the way--the train station is the first stop after Piazzale Roma.

Here's the latest official vaporetto map:

http://www.actv.it/pdf/navigazione/Mappa_linee_2nov.pdf
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 03:09 PM

The express bus to P.le Roma is virtually straight out the main door of the airport - - you walk across one road, and it is on the next concrete island, virtually dead ahead of the main airport entrance. A number of ATVO busses leave from that island to different destinations, but the sign overhead clearly shows the one sport where the express bus to venezia stops. There is a ticket machine right there, and if it seems complicated there are usually ATVO staff (or the driver will come out) to show what buttons to press to get tickets (they could also get tickets at the ATVO booth in the airport lobby).

The #1 turns around at P.le Roma and then heads back up the Grand Canal, so it is not possible to get on the #1 heading the wrong direction. (The #2, formerly #82, which is more of an 'express' vaporetton on the Grand Canal, does go both directions).

The big question, though, is what kind of ticket they will want to buy before heading to the #1 vaporetto - - a single trip, a day pass, or a multi-day pass.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 03:36 PM

Ha ha ha the first thing we wanted to do in Venice is to take vap #1 or #2 through the Grand Canal. Of course we got on the wrong one

Yes, as others said, either ACTV or ATVO bus to P.le Roma, walk down to water to vaporetto stops.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 04:04 PM

<<<<<<<Ha ha ha the first thing we wanted to do in Venice is to take vap #1 or #2 through the Grand Canal. Of course we got on the wrong one...

I've stayed on Lido many times, and so have gotten to P.le Roma and taken the #51 the "wrong" direction, and it is really great. It passes past fire boats, and crane boats, and boats full of Coca Cola, past the harbor with towering cruise ships, past a stream of private yachts, along the backside of Dorsoduro where you see virtually nobody, before passing by San Marco and then out to Lido. I think it is a great way to experience what life is like living on a lagoon peppered with islands and canals. The breezes, the gentle surf, the light - - it's as much what I enjoy about Venice than the bigger spectacle. And you can get a great spot on the vaporetto to see it, as opposed to the sardine cans heading down the Grand Canal most of the day.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

A person can't ask for more help than all of you have provided. I now feel confident now in giving directions to my friends.

dfourh, they will be purchasing the 72-hr. pass.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM

<<<<<< they will be purchasing the 72-hr. pass

It's possible to purchase the 72-hr pass at the ACTV booth at the airport. If there is no substantial queue, it may be better to get it there - - particularly since jet-lagged novice visitors are the norm there, so the staff tend to be patient and communicative. (The 72-hour pass is not valid for the ATVO Express bus to P.le Roma.) If they wait to get the 72 hour pass at the office close to the piers at P.le Roma there may be a longer queue and things can sometimes feel more pressured.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is just so uncanny because Salt and I are taking the same vaporetto from Piz. Roma to San Stae stop as we are staying right there along the GC in San Polo.

I have taken this vaporetto the last time in Venice, but I do not remember the ticket machines.

Do you put in coins, paper money or both?

How much is the ride from Piz Roma to San Stae?

I want to make sure we have the correct change.

Thanks,
Pepper of Salt and Pepper Fame
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM

The ticket machine is for the ATVO bus from the airport to P.le Roma. That is ATVO. It is a separate company from ACTV, which operates the vaporetti in Venice. The ATVO machines (for the express bus from Marco Polo to P.le Roma) accept coins, for the express bus to Venice. It's about 3 Euro.

There are no ACTV machines that accept currency, either coin nor paper, for the vaporetti (the vaporetti, of course, are the boats which travel on the canals in Venice proper) - - neither for single trips, nor multi-day passes.

Once you get to P.le Roma there are not ticket machines for the ACTV vaporetti - - go to the booth and talk to a human (if you didn't get tickets at the ACTV booth at the airport, by lining up and paying cash, and talking to a human, at the ACTV booth).

Again, note that ATVO (the company that runs long distance busses from Marco Polo, as well as the express bus to Venice P.le Roma) DOES have ticket machines that accept coins, but ACTV, the company that runs the vaporetti in Venice) does not.

A single vapo ticket (purchased through ACTV; either at the booth at the airport or at any booth close to a vapo stop, which involves talking to a human) costs like 6.50e for single trip from P.le Roma to San Stae, and includes one luggage item per ticket. Multi-day passes also include one luggage item per ticket, and may be a better value.

For ACTV vaporetto prices and fares, for single trips on the vaporetti, or multi-day options (again, NOT related to the express bus operated by ATVO from Marco Polo to P.le Roma - - for which you can simply buy a one-way a the machine at the airport, or at the booth in the terminal) check the ACTV site at http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/fares for the full range of vaporetto fare options, including multi-day passes (but NOT for the ATVO bus from the airport to P.le Roma). If you aren't just pulling my leg!
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

OK, We leave tomorrow for Italy. My friends are already at a hotel in Raleigh-Durham. They probably want the express ATVO blue bus in Venice. However, the fare for the ATVO bus is not included in the 72-hr. pass, which they should purchase inside Marco Polo Aerooport.

Am I correct if they call me tonight? It's going to be a short night for me as well. It would be great dfourh if you catch this before I turn in for the night. You've been a great help.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM

dfourh, That's a great tip about the #5 in the "wrong" direction. Thank you!
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for the info., however, I do not get the "pulling my leg" part of the post. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Are you saying that this is all a joke? I don't get it.

Whatever.

I will post the same question on trip advisor and see if anyone can help me there.

Pepper aka Thingorjus
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 07:39 PM

ACTV and ATVO are two different companies so the 72-hour ACTV pass does not include the ATVO bus.

(The #5 local bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma is an ACTV bus, but it now requires paying an extra fare--it is o longer included in a pass.)
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

ellenem, got it. Leaving in an hour for Italia...
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 04:38 AM

Buon viaggio! Say hello to Sandro and Walter!
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

I am here in sunny Sorrento, and having a wonderful time. Will not be in Venice until May 6th, and I will be sure to tell both men hello for you.
Old May 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Ciao ellenem,

Of course Sandro was pleased to hear from you...and he did remember the conversation about "How do you know they are now killers?" Ironically, he still has the same opinion!

Tough first night at the hotel...it was hot and the AC wasn't turned on yet. However, the next seven nights were cool and comfortable with the AC turned on. Actually, it is the quietest AC system we've ever experienced in a hotel/B&B. Totally quiet and efficient. A great sestiere to stay in, and a perfect location within Santa Croce.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -