Search

venice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 09:16 AM
Larry

venice

My wife and I are going to Venice Jan. 5-11, 2000. Staying at Hotel Concordia--any one know about this hotel? Also, is 7 days in Venice too much? If so, where and what around Venice is worth the effort to see and do? Looking forward to hear from someone with experience and knowledge in this part of the world!

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 02:13 PM
Bill Fleites

Larry, <BR>I have not stayed at the hotel you mention. But I did spend four days in Venice last year, and found this to be just right for me. I believe that if you spend anywhere from 3-4 full days in Venice you will easily be able to see the city and all its major sites. If you'd like to read how I spent my time in Venice just visit my homepage at http://www.gatortravels.com/. Have a great time in Venice, it is one of the most amazing places in the world.

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 05:09 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Larry <BR>Hve not stayed at the CONDORDIA, Calle Larga S. Marco, 367, this is a four star hotel with 55 rooms and some of the rooms face the side of the Basilica <BR>of S. Marco. A friend of my wifes stayed <BR>at the Concordia for a month a couple <BR>of years back. One will either love <BR>Venice or hate it!!! If you do not <BR>mind long walks thru Venice and going <BR>to Murano and Burano and possible Torcello, seven days in Venice will be <BR>ample. We just returned a week last <BR>Wednesday from Venice & Rome and Venice <BR>still had a large number of day tourists <BR>usually on tours. There were not large <BR>waites for tables in ristorantes, in <BR>face some were fairly empty. Down stairs <BR>from the Concordia is a small pizza <BR>ristorante the AL LEONCINI, San Marco, <BR>352 which has a pretty good individual <BR>pizza. the Fruitte di Mare..... If you <BR>want a couple of ristorante suggestions <BR>drop me a note and will reply. <BR>PS we did have a record high tide that' <BR>flooded the Pza S. Marco in about a <BR>meter of water on the 6th, had to purchase rubber boots, some ristorantes <BR>had to close, we had about four inches <BR>of water in the hotels lobby. <BR>Have a good trip. Richard of La Grange Park, Il.. <BR>PS if you want a couple urls for Venice also drop a line... <BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 01:07 AM
james

7 days will only give you time to scratch the surface of Venice! 7 weeks wouldn't be enough! Concordia is an ok hotel. Take time to wander the back streets away from the madding crowds - and take a really good guide book.

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 04:51 AM
Gina

I could easily spend 7 days in Venice and the surrounding islands alone! Wander the neighborhoods away from San Marco, and you'll find all kinds of jewels. But if you want to get away for a day, it's easy to do; try a trip to the beautiful town of Verona.

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 09:59 AM
Paulo

Even though I've never spent more than 5 nights at a time in Venice (and that was during Carnival many, many years ago) I must have stayed there over 25 nights all together and I think I still am far from having enough. <BR> <BR>I suggest you play it by ear and take off for a daytrip or two if you feel like at the moment. <BR> <BR>I consider the lagoon islands (my preferred ones are Burano and Torcello) as part of Venice and a must for whoever spends at least 3 full days in town. <BR> <BR>Besides Verona (demanding a relatively long train time back and forth) the following cities may be easily visited out from Venice: a) Padua (Giotto and Mantegna frescoes and St. Anthony's basilica); b) Vicenza (Palladio's architecture); and c) Treviso (quaint little town with good food and reminiscent of Venice, with canals of its own). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 03:05 PM
Marty

Larry: We just returned from our third trip to Venice--twice this year. We really love it there! We took two couples who had never been, and we were only there for a long weekend over Thanksgiving. We saw and did a lot, because the crowds were not in the way. We walked right into the Basillica which would have been a long wait in the summer. There was no wait at any restaurant. We went to Torcello, and we were the only people there for most of the time. It was like walking back in time. We were the only customers in the Burano shops and got personal care from the sales people. It was not very cold--40s and 50s, but it rained every day but Saturday. We absolutely did not care! It was very interesting to see the city in those conditions. Do look for the warning that I posted about fog in the lagoon on the day we left. The tide came in pretty high early in the evening, but it never stopped anything. I thought we were very lucky to get see St. Marco Square standing in water! Since it is all fresh in mind, let me know if I can try to answer anything for you.

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 03:46 PM
Bob

I agree with most of the other posters. Spend your entire time in Venice. Relax and really enjoy the city. Yes, there are other things and cities to see in Italy....plenty, but just enjoy Venice and spend the entire week there. You will not be sorry.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 06:40 PM
Betty

Hello...will be in Venice for Carnival <BR>in Feb/Mar 2001. Any tips or advice <BR>from you recent travelers? Love all these positive comments about the great <BR>place. Thanks