Venice-5 nt. stay - stay at 2 different hotels - La Calcina/Ca Angeli

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at two different hotels for such a short time? Considering first two nights at La Calcina (with view) and last three at Ca Angeli (Jr. Suite w/view of Grand Canal). We have stayed at Savoia y Jolanda w/view of lagoon in the past (too expensive for us in high season) so noise is not an issue...we prefer to have a room with a view. Otherwise, staying at one or the other will require a room change (without view) due to availability.

Thanks for any comments.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 04:30 AM

no comments on changing rooms, but, what did you think of the Savoia e Jolanda? thank you.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Yes! We did it to save money on a short trip when we arrived late at night. We spent the first night somewhere without a view and then transferred ourselves to the 'real' hotel first thing the following day, and enjoyed our Grand Canal view. It may sound crazy, but the first night saving enabled us to spurge on a great room for the rest of the stay.

Having now visited Venice, I would definitely contemplate doing this again on a more planned basis. The various areas are so different that treating more than one as 'home' seems a great idea.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:53 AM

It just seems such a waste of time to have to pack and unpack. I don't know the location of Ca Angeli so can't compare to La Calcina. I think I would try to find something with a view for the whole stay.

If you're flying in, La Calcina is very convenient to the Zattere stop on the alilaguna.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 07:04 AM

We switch hotels all the time when we stay in a city for four nights or longer. We get to experience two different neighborhoods by day and night and the fun of two different hotel experiences. The repacking/moving hasn't been that time-consuming. We plan activities around one hotel and then activities around the other to make the most of the move. Try it!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd stay at La Calcina and switch to a non-view room rather than switching hotels (check out times normally 11am and check in time not til 3pm next place, very inconvenient). La Calcina is a beautiful hotel and I've stayed in both view and non-view rooms, both were lovely.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Neopolitan

I guess I could understand switching hotels for a stay of something like 10 days or two weeks, but losing the better part of a day when you only have four days or so there anyway? Not me. As menioned above -- it isn't the packing that's the problem -- it's having to leave one hotel, move to another, and then not even being able to get into your room till later. Not for me.

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM

When we have switched hotels, we have either walked or taken public tranportation or taken a taxi (15 minutes max. any of these ways). The room has either been ready early or the luggage has been placed in a secure area until we come back later and get our room. Again, I love the adventure of two different hotels in two different parts of the city. It may not be for everyone, but it is worth a consideration. And with all the great hotels I read about on this board, I am eager to experience many of them and a split stay allows us this
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:44 PM

We stayed 2 nights at La Calcina in a canal-view room (it was very noisy because we kept the windows open all night--lots o'traffic on that canal!). Loved that room, though. Then we had to switch to a side room because the first room had already been reserved for the next couple of nights. It was a painless switch (packed the bags up and the hotel staff did the rest) and we loved the second room -- much quieter, with a little balcony that partially overlooked the side canal. So my choice would be to stay at La Calcina the whole time.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 09:10 AM

The location is not the best if you want to explore Venice. However, it would be a great experience if you want to stay in a historical Venetian style bed and breakfast. If you're on a business trip, the internet connection is important to you, make sure you'll ask for the room that has internet signal, because there're room as in a part of the building has no internet signal at all, but they advertised it as free wi-fi included for the stay, which is not entirely true. The breakfast is good. But the heat broke down at 4 AM (late Nov. in Venice is not warm in Venice), but it was fixed the next day. All of the staff are very helpful and friendly except for one young woman who works at the reception is extremely rude, when I told her that I got no internet connection in my room if she could help, she told me to move into a 4 or 5 star hotel, and don't expect anything promising at Ca Angeli, I think this is terrible of her to say this, I was rather surprised. I travel quite a bit and have been to many different types of hotels and B&B facilities, but have never met such a rude person like this one at Ca Angeli which is a shame, it spoiled the nice memory I'd have had of staying at Ca Angeli otherwise.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:33 AM

my goodness this is a 5 year old thread - I'd guess that the OP has made their decision long ago. Was it resurrected to take a swipe at CaAngeli?
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:37 AM

MiaTayn, Why dredge up such an old thread?
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM

Oh, I get it. Brand new poster. 1st and only post.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 11:49 PM

Suze, I'm newly registered here, and this is the only and first thread I saw, and I didn't stay here 5 years ago, I stayed here this week. I'm only here to give honest feedback, this is the purpose of this website.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 04:17 AM

I would not change hotels, especially between these 2 - how are you thinking to transfer ? Get a vaporetto with all your luggage - no fun when they're busy, which is most of the time, and Ca' Angeli is not very near a vaporetto stop. Or walk all the way, carrying all your luggage over lots of bridges ? As well as being an effort, the time you'd take to repack, check out, move, check in & unpack again is such a waste of time when you have only 4 full days.

I've stayed at La Calcina five times, in view & non-view rooms, and liked them all. I have also changed rooms within hotels, including La Calcina, and it was less hassle as you don't need to pack everything - e.g. they will just transfer clothes on hangers between wardrobes for you. But surely there must be a hotel - out of the hundreds in Venice - which has a room with a view available for all 5 nights : it's not that long a period.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 06:32 AM

Caroline, did you mean to answer to 5 year old original post?
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 06:32 AM

MaiTayn, I didn't say you stayed there 5 years ago... I said this thread was started, the original question was asked 5 years ago. They have long since taken their trip. Of course honest feedback is the purpose of the forum, but normally we reply to current threads (not such old ones).
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 04:19 AM

Ah, I hadn't noticed date of original post & evidently hadn't checked most recent posts before mine.
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
<B>MiaTayn </B>: "<i>Suze, I'm newly registered here, and this is the only and first thread I saw, </i>"

Not terribly likely. A 5 yo thread cannot be the first thread you see . . . since is would reside thousands of pages back. You had to specifically search for the hotel's name.

So my guess is you googled it, found this thread, ignored the fact that the OP traveled years ago, and registered to dredge it up.

Maybe start a thread about your own trip and what you did/didn't do/see/enjoy??
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 05:44 PM

Actually I never even noticed the date of the original post till I saw suze's reply here.

@janisj, yes I did look it up on line to see if there's a website where I can give my most recent and honest feedback on Ca Angeli which I'd never stayed there before, and this site came up, so I wrote down what I wanted to say without checking into the dates. To write something negative about a hotel is something I never even thought of doing in the past. I travel quite a bit and stayed in many hotels, I always had great experience at wherever I stayed. The Italian people I've met are warm and kind, even during the current economic crisis in Italy. But this woman who works at the reception of Ca Angeli is really something else. My stay there was short and terrible, would I go back or refer it to anyone else? Definitely not! So an honest feedback here shouldn't be offensive to you or anyone else who chose to read my comment. Ok, it's a 5 years old thread, but if you keep it open, active and public, then it's made available to whoever wants to join and comment on it. For you to assume that I had purposely dredged a five year old thread up is simply not true. Again, I didn't even check the date till suze brought it to my attention ok? But thank you for suggesting me to start my own thread on my trip experiences, but I've already got my own Facebook forum, where I also share with my friends and relatives there. Thank you for your suggestion though! Have a nice day, Ciao!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -