Notices

Venice

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:20 PM
Axio

Venice

Hi,

Have anyone actually walked from the train station in Venice to the San Marco area? Understand even locals can get lost among the streets so any advise? Also how long is the estimated journey?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:28 PM
Rex

Oh heck yes, it is not a difficult walk - - 15 minutes if you REALLY hustle, 25 at a more comfortable pace - - but I wouldn't do it if you have anything more than trivial luggage.

Follow signs to Rialto Bridge, cross the bridge, than follow signs to San Marco. Not difficult at all.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:06 PM
Surlok

Not difficult to you, Rex. I'm a very badly oriented person, and I always get lost in Venice ( although it's the most lovely city to get lost in). Since Axio seems to be arriving in Venice, if he/she has some luggage, getting to dead ends, or the wrong bridge might not be that easy, or pleasant.

Anyway, Axio, it isn't far, although not easy as Rex said, unless you have a strong sense of direction, what I really don't.
Venice is small, and there are not long distances as such, but the path is never straight. It's always broken into tiny streets, bridges and alleys.

Surlok

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:15 PM
Irma

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how far it is from the port to the main area in Venice? Also, I'm looking for a place to stay that is close to both the port and the train station. More importantly, the port. Any suggestions? I'm leaving in 2 weeks and have to find a place to stay!

Irma

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:52 PM
Surlok

Irma,

Could you be a little more specific? Which pier? Are you taking a cruise, or a ferry boat?

Surlok

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:51 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning Axio
If you exit the Venice SL Station by
its front steps you face the Grand
Canal, turning left walk into the Rio
Terra, Lista di Splagna, the San Leonardo and various calle which work
to the right, the Strada Nova to the
Campo San Bartoemeo which the Ponte Rialto will be on your right side about
a 1/4 bcontinue straight do not cross
the bridge. Look for signs between
the first and second floors with S. MARCP amd am arrpw. from here you will
find a couple routes to the Pza S. Marco.
Richard of LaGrange Park,IL...
goeurope.about.com/ used to have a
pretty good page on Venice street signs.
rjv

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 06:05 AM
carol

The easiest way to get from the train station to San Marco is to take the vaporetto down the grand canal. Great views and cheap transportation. You can pick it up right in front of the station.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 06:31 AM
elaine

Axio
Everyone's stamina is different.
If you can carry your luggage for a 25 minute walk at home, then you can carry it from the train to San Marco. Assuming you want to.
Richard's instructions, or a good map like Streetwise Venice should minimize the getting lost bit (minimize, not eliminate)because, unusually for Venice, your route will take place on mostly
"main" streets. After a while you will even see some directional signs with arrows toward San Marco.
I concur in recommending the vaporetto--that first ride from the train station down the Grand Canal will never be forgotten.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 07:22 AM
janice

Another good reason to pack very little! I've walked it - post food poisoning - in less than a half hour. And I find it fairly easy to get to the main landmarks in Venice i.e. Rialto, St. Marco etc. because there are lots and lots of signs. So the answer depends on how fit you are, and how much stuff you have to carry.
And I'd be surprised to find that locals get lost in Venice - after a couple of days, I don't get lost in the areas I frequent.