Search

Venice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 11:56 AM
Trish

Venice

I will be spending 8 days in Venice-at the end of April..What is normally the weather at this time of the year..will the tides be high enough to need high boots? Although this is a tour, I want to spend time alone just wandering...is this for a woman alone? Thanks

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 01:13 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi Trish <BR> <BR>I just got back and can tell you what I've learned, although I don't have direct "April" experience. <BR> <BR>From what I understand, the worst 'acqua alta' is in the winter months. You SHOULD be OK in April, although I don't know for sure. I did notice that a number of stores sell rubber boots so don't add needless weight to your luggage. You might be happier just taking shoes with thick soles, as are so popular now. (for instance, Steve Maddens are about 1-2 inches thick and VERY comfortable...) <BR> <BR>Venice is DEFINITELY safe for a woman alone. I never felt the slightest bot threatened, and any guidebook will go on about how safe it is there. fear not. <BR> <BR>get out that camera and wander wander wander. DON'T FORGET your journal... <BR> <BR <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 08:10 PM
Holly

Trish - I've been in Venice at the end of April for each of the last few years, and I've never encountered anything more than a deep puddle. Last year was the first time I even saw the raised planks pulled out for walking on, and that was in only one spot. The weather is usually beautiful at that time, 70s in the day, 50s at night. But I have seen it in the low 50s in the day, and wet and windy, so be prepared with layers.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 08:48 PM
Nancy

- <BR>Trish, you'll have no difficulty being a solo woman in Venice. I spent 3 days there by myself in October and felt perfectly safe. <BR> <BR>And high tides can occur anytime of the year in Venice --- HOWEVER they usually occur during the winter months; as Beth has said, you should be okay in April. Wouldn't bother schlepping boots 'just in case' as you probably won't need them.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 01:29 PM
shelly

Going to Venice the end fo Feb...any predictions on the weather and the tides. Will we be limited in getting around? Any advice appreciated.