Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Veliky Novgorod or Suzdal? And a stop between Petrozovadsk and Kazan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2017, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Russia soon, and am trying to fill in the gaps for a circuit from Moscow to St Petersburg, then to Petrozovadsk, onwards to Kazan and back to Moscow.

Two questions:

1) Veliky Novgorod, Suzdal, Vladimir and Sergiev Posad all sound like they have a similar "feel" to each other. Sergiev Posad seems like an easy day trip from Moscow, so shouldn't be a problem, but traveling to Suzdal and Veliky Novgorod seem a bit less straightforward. If I had to choose between them, which should I pick? What about Vladimir?

2) Any suggestions for a transit town in between Petrozovadsk and Kazan? Open to anything, especially culture or nature.

Any other suggestions of places in western Russia I should visit outside of Moscow or St Petersburg (but not Scandinavia - not interested at this stage) would be most welcome, as I am likely able to tweak my plans as I go along.

Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2017, 08:49 AM

Suzdal, Vladimir and Sergiev Posad - it's small cities. In Novgorod, more interesting you can see. If you want a day trip from Moscow - go to Suzdal and Vladimir. I like Suzdal...

Then you go to St. Petersburg. I recommend to go from Moscow by train to Novgorod, stop for 1 full day and then go by bus to St. Petersburg in the evening.

How are you going to get from Petrozavodsk to Kazan? Train, bus, car?

Between Petrozavodsk and Kazan interesting Vologda, Yaroslavl, Nijnii Novgorod
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Hey Alex, thanks for the reply! I'm going to Moscow from Petrozavodsk via an overnight train, so I think in hindsight, I probably wouldn't be able to stop anywhere. If I had to choose between Suzdal and Veliky Novgorod, which would you recommend? I might spend a night in Suzdal seeing as it would be a very long day trip. As it stands, currently I'm arriving in Veliky Novgorod at 630am. i plan to leave my luggage in a locker and have a potter around before taking an evening bus to SPB. Is that too short? Appreciate your advice!
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:53 AM

Hi Oliver!

Suzdal's sights are only churches. It's a small town in which pleasant to spend several hours. Suzdal very close to Vladimir, just 20 min by car. If you go to Vladimir, then of course you can see and Suzdal. If you do not go to Vladimir, and you have no time - then you can skip Suzdal and go to Novgorod.

Full day for Veliky Novgorod - its normal. Maybe you can't see all the sights, but the main ones will have time to see. Locals from Saint Petersburg go to Novgorod for 1 day excursions.
If you will have time in Novgorod I reccomend you visit Vitoslavlits - Museum of Wooden Architecture Vitoslavlits. It's near Novgorod, 5 km. Ask locals how to get there or take taxi or bus 7, 7a.
Wow! I find site in English visitnovgorod.com
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 10:36 AM

From Petrozavodsk you can take a tour to Solovki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solovetsky_Islands
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 10:36 PM

Recommend you check out the chapter 'Suzdal and Russian Identity' in Tony Kevin's <i>Return to Moscow</i> (published earlier this year).