IPD required in France?

Search

IPD required in France?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPD required in France?

Am I correct that it is not required in France?
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You are talking about the driving permit? Absolutely not required and not wanted by the authorities. The only thing they want to see is a real driving licence in a language they can understand. If yours is in English, that will do just fine.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
IPD:
Immuno Polymorphism Database?
Integrated project delivery?
Institute for Professional Development?

Or maybe IDP? International Driving Permit?
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:18 AM

Kerouac, the law seems to have changed recently:

http://www.ambafrance-us.org/spip.php?article376

Also, there was a report on a TA forum of someone who was refused a rental car in France because she didn't have an IDP:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...se-France.html

See response number 3 on that topic.

I think the requirement probably comes from the EU, and that individual countries are slowly bringing their own laws in line with the EU guidelines.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:43 AM

As long as your license is not in Chinese and can be easily read by law enforcement, you do not need an IDP or in other words, a police officer will not ask you for one.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:52 AM

According to the AAA website you do not need to be a member. The fee is $15 and you receive a translated IDP in ten languages. Mary

http://chicago.aaa.com/aaa-travel-ag...it/686/748.uts
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:43 AM

<i>a police officer will not ask you for one.</i>

Hi might if he is in a bad mood. When it comes to officialdom, I prefer to be <i>en règle</i>.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:56 AM

Oh, people are so naïve. The only reason that a site like the embassy will ask for one is due to all of the "new" tourists with licences in Chinese, Russian, Korean, etc. A licence in English has been accepted from time immemorial, even when the police had not gone to school.

I use my French licence when I go to the U.S. and wouldn't dream of paying for an IDP. The rental agents fuss over it sometimes (although lots of rental agents are Haitian so than have no problem with it), but it is as valid as a U.S. licence in France. Reciprocity has its rewards and one of them is not wasting $15 on a document that is useless.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 12:56 PM

Kerouac,

Is this person lying?

<i>I travelled to France in June 2013 with the understanding from reading TripAdvisor posts and other on line sources that an International Driver's Permit was not required when renting a car in France - my Canadian licence would be OK. Also, several friends had told me that they had rented cars in France without having to have an International Driver's Permit. However, when I got to France and tried to rent a car in Montpellier, I approached four different car rental agencies (on line and in person) and they all told me they required the Permit. So, I never did get to rent a car. </i>
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 01:01 PM

The law changed in spring of either 2012 or 2013. If it's the law, I think it's a good idea to pony up the lousy $15.00.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 01:09 PM

The French Embassy website in the US says you are supposed to have one.

I'm not sure what kerouac's response means about the embassy asking for one, they aren't asking for it, they are advising people going to France from the US to have one.

I imagine some petty bureaucrats or employees anywhere can make up rules, though (like auto rental companies). I've never gotten one but they didn't used to advise that, either. So upshot is it is up to you, I guess, as to whether you are feeling lucky. I admit I would think it very likely not to need it, but not sure I'd care about paying another $15 to ensure no troubles on my vacation given all the other things you pay for on your trip.

I also imagine there are plenty of police in rural areas of France who are not fluent in English (reading or not). I could translate it for them, but not sure they would care. Of course, there is also usually not much likelihood you will get stopped by the police. I'd worry more about rental companies, actually.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 01:38 PM

Yes, Michael, I would say that that person is lying.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 01:46 PM

<i> I would say that that person is lying.</i>

and for what reason?
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 01:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
kerouac: IDPs weren't required in the past. But they are now.

As in Italy, the rental agency may or may not ask for it, but if there is a problem (like an accident) and one does not have an IDP, the insurance is voided (since one was not driving legally). Therefore, you may pooh pooh the idea, but to advise folks not to have one is not helpful.

bob: They cost very little, - get one.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 02:09 PM

<I>and for what reason?</I>

Who knows? I'm sure that you have noticed here that people often hide the real reason that something went wrong and it only slips out by accident later. Just like when they say that somebody "screamed" at them.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 02:14 PM

Anyway, here is the official French government link concerning foreign licences, which says that they are authorized.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...rs/F1459.xhtml

While it does say that if it is not in French, it should be accompanied by an official translation, it is really and truly not necessary for licences in English or Spanish (among other languages). There is no fine for not having a licence in French.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 02:16 PM

Sorry. But if one questions personal experience, which is the basis of the exchanges on this forum, one must assume some reason--and be able to show that the assumption does not come out of thin air--to question that experience. "Who knows" is not enough.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 03:25 PM

Okay--so we've decided it is/isn't necessary and there is little likelihood of being asked for the IDP. Everyone suggests that AAA will charge you $15. That's never been my experience as it is $15 for the IDP which must be accompanied by a current photo--add $8 for a total of $23. And if you ever examine the IDP, it does not translate anything contained on your driver's license and it expires after one year.

I've got a stack of these bureaucratic rip-offs and will once again pay into the system for our next trip. BTW-I've never had the thing mentioned when renting, before or after delivery but as said above, "It could happen and things may have changed".
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 05:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Macanimals: Rental agencies don't care. Theydont ask for IDPs there either. but they are100% required.

The authorities do care - if they ask for it and you don't have it . . .
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All this conversation because of $22 US dollars and that includes a photo at AAA.

Get one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -