Search

Vatican Visit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 08:13 AM
Tom Perkins

Vatican Visit

To Anyone who's been there, <BR> <BR>We are going to Italy in early April. We will be in Genoa but plan a weekend in Rome and would like to visit the Vatican. I have been unable to find out whether you need to make any prior arrangements or just show up for a tour. We are specifically interested in the Sistine Chapel and viewing other art there. Can anyone help with info? Not even the Vatican's own website addressed hours or other tour information! <BR>Thank you in advance for any help. <BR>Tom Perkins

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 09:12 AM
howard

The secret is to get to the Vatican Museum early. It opens at 8:45, I believe. There'll be a line then, but probably not as long as it'll be later in the day. <BR>As for seeing the Sistine Chapel, you must go through the museum first--but, hey, that's no punishment, as its collection is incredible! <BR>As for a tour, I recommend you rent the audio tape when you first go into the museum. It's provides for a great self-guided, heavily annotated, tour through the museum. And, its comprehensive information about the Sistine Chapel is more than you could ever hope for. From our observations, we thought the tape was better, more thorough than any tour guide we encountered.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 09:14 AM
howard

P.S.: To avoid any confusion when you get there, the audio tape referred to above is actually a CD (and you have a choice of languages).

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 10:56 AM
Rex

This is a single anecdote, and like all anecdotes, has to be taken for what it's worth. I've only been to the Vatican twice - - the most recent time (June 98) was after a public audience the Pope offers every Wednesday morning (see www.santasusanna.org - - I think) - - these audiences fill all of Pzza S. Peter and afterwards, the Basilica itself is closed until the afternoon. I can't remember if we went to the Vatican museum right after noon, or right before (after, I think), but there was essentially no line to get in. <BR> <BR>Early morning is a good idea for many highly appealing attractions, but it might not be as uniquely low-demand for the Vatican museums as Howard indicates. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 11:57 AM
howard

Rex, perhaps I said it wrong, but I did not mean there's a "low demand" in the morning. Hey, it's busy all the time!From my recent experience,the Vatican Museum is less busy (relatively speaking) first thing in the morning--plus you don't have the residual crowd factor of people from hours ago still hanging around! Also, keep in mind this is Jubilee Year and the Vatican is bound to be really crowded in April. <BR>Again from recent experience, I would recommend visiting the museum first thing in the morning and then going to St. Peter's Basilica.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 02:52 PM
Cathy

Tom, <BR>The Papal Audiences only take place o9n Wednesdays and are usually out doors -weather permitting. The Vatican Tourist Office gives free guided tours of St. Peters in the afternoons - leaving the office at 2.00 and 3.00. Book ahead for tours of the Gardens and the Scavi Tours (underneath St. Peters) and arrive very early to get ahead of the crows for the Sistine Chapel etc. I find that I spend 2-3 days in the Vatican when I visit Rome so don't be too disappointed if all you get is a taste. One other thing you should do is to climb to the top of St. Peters (you can take a lift/evalator) part of the way but the view is just unbelieveable as is you ability to understand the structure of St. Peters itself. Enjoy yourself