Vatican Tours

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:20 PM
joanne

Vatican Tours

Are Vatican Tours a must? (In your opinion)

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:37 AM
elaine

Yes imo but I can't recommend the one I took that was offered by the Vatican Museums itself. (There's a tour sign- up window inside where you buy your ticket.) The tour was rushed, but even more important, our (I assume) knowledgeable guide unfortunately spoke incomprehensible English.
Some people have spoken well of the audio tape guide, I didn't try it.

What I should have done, and what I will do next time is take Scala Reale's 4 hour Vatican Tour. I took a couple other of their tours and they were fabulous.

Old May 10th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Larry

joanne:

You can enjoy the Vatican without a tour, but a good tour will greatly enhance the experience. I would strongly recommend Scala Reale. Ask for Liz Lev. I took a tour with her and a small group in November and she was fabulous. We concentrated on the Sistine Chapel (we got there when it opened), the Raphael rooms and St. Peters. She is a trained art-historian and her insights on the art made me see it with new eyes (this was my fourth time at the Vatican).

Old May 10th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Carol

We took the Scala Reale Vatican/Sistine Chapel tour and loved every minute of it. Since their guides are art histor/architecture graduate students who live in Rome, they are very knowledgeable and bring a different dimension to the tour.

They gave us insightful mini history lessons with each major piece of art and our guide had a terrific sense of humor as well. I recommend them very highly.

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:35 PM
claire

We took the Scala Reale Vatican Tour and I'd highly recommend it as well.

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Kathy

I think a Vatican Tour is helpful to get a better sense of history. I used Three Amigos Tour. Our tour guide was very informative, spoke perfect English, as well as Italian. We spent about 4 hours on the tour.

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Cheryl

Kelly-

Is there a web site for THE THREE AMIGOS?

Thanks---Cheryl