Vatican on Sunday

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Sarah

Vatican on Sunday

I've seen conflicting postings on which Sundays the Vatican is open and is free - is it the last Sunday or 1st Sunday of each month? <BR>Could someone please clarify for me please? I am going to be in Rome on June 24 and hope to see the Vatican (Museums, Sistine Chapel) and St. Peter's that day.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Gerry

Don't worry about it being free. It's but a drop in the bucket of your trip costs and it's more crowded on free days. Plus, they seem to change things all the time. I sure wouldn't let the small price of admission stop me from seeing some of the greatest art treasures in the world. <BR> <BR>Gerry

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Ed

The Vatican Museums are open the LAST Sunday of every month, at which time they are free. They attract at that time, as one would guess, hordes, especially families with lots of kids. The Museums are normally crowded. It's much worse on free Sundays. <BR> <BR>It's a good time to stay away from the Museums. The cost is less than $10 per person so I'd expect few intercontinental travelers to find the savings worthwhile compared to the inconvenience. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Sarah

Thx Gerry and Ed for your advice. Unfortunatly, the last Sunday of June is my *only* chance to see the Vatican, so since it's actually open that day, I have to go - I'd be a fool to miss it even if it's going to be packed with tonnes of people, right? I guess the fact that it will be free is a bonus. <BR>Any advice on what order to see the sites there? We plan to get up early and get in the line by 8am (ugh!).

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Gerry

Try reading a guide first. Its all good. Just see what interests you until you are too tired to go on. Suggest saving the Sistine Chapel for last since it's very hard to backtrack. <BR>Try doing a search of this cite i.e. put Sistine Chapel or Vatican Museum in the search box and you should get more info. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip. <BR> <BR>Gerry