Vatican museums

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:40 AM
ds1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vatican museums

I'll be in Rome mid-March and would like to visit the Vatican museums. How can I purchase tickets in advance to avoid waiting in line? Also, I'm disabled and wondering how far the walk is from St. Peters to the museums and if the route is up hill or flat. Thanks.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:54 AM

This topic has been the subject of other threads. I don't think it is possible to purchase tickets ahead of time; however if you are disabled you may be granted special access. Take a look at the website for the Vatican museums at http://mv.vatican.va. I would suggest you contact them with regard to disabled access.

I have seen references on this site to the possibility of buying entry tickets on line, but have not been able to confirm this on any Vatican website

It is a very long, but flat walk from St Peter's square to the entrance to the Vatican museums. You basically are walking around the outside of Vatican City from the east front (St Peter's square) to about the middle of the north side. At a good pace, the walk would take about 20 minutes.

The Vatican Museums are closed on March 19, and are closed on Sundays other than the last Sunday of each month, when they are open and admission is free
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:29 AM
ds1
Original Poster

From Cicerone's message, the walk is too far for me from St. Peters to the Vatican museums. Is it possible to catch a taxi between the two?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Hi
I"d start by taking the cab to the Vat. museum entrance.
Can you walk stairs? You'll have to, I'm afraid.
Anyway, when you are leaving the Sistine Chapel, which is the last stop on the tour of the Vat. museums, there are two exits. The one to your right (with your back to the Chapel) is labeled for tour groups only, or some such. Take that one. The guard is unlikely to mind, and you can always explain. It's still a flight of stairs down. When you exit there, you are almost next door to St Peters.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 11:21 AM
ds1
Original Poster

I can walk down but not up stairs. The Vatican notes accessible routes, so hopefully I'll be OK. I'll take a taxi directly to the museums and then go to St. Peters. Thanks all for the advice.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:18 PM

My advice to anyone going to the Vatican museum is to rent the head sets for the exhibts. You will gain so much more information, and they allow you to go about at your own pace. They are located at the entrance and well worth the minimal charge for them. Don't remember how much.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:36 PM

ds1:

It's true the walk to the entrance is long, but it's equally true that once the tour begins, you will be walking inside for what seems like forever.

They used to offer three tours, named A, B, and C, each one covering more ground than the last. When we were there last, though, a few years ago, there were no options.

If walking long distances is a problem, I would investigate further what your options are. I would imagine - let's say I would HOPE - that the Vatican could make special accommodations for disabled people.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:44 PM

If necessary, just beyond the piazza in front of St Peter's there is a taxi stand. There are usually a few taxis waiting there.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 12:18 AM

St Cirq's point is well taken that the museum itself is huge. According to the Vatican Museums website, they have wheelchairs available. You might want to consider having one to rest in from time to time.