Vatican Museum Guided Tour Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on taking a Vatican Museum guided tour (operated by the Vatican, not a tour company) and I'm a little confused about how to time things right with the designated time slot for the tour and clearing security. Here's a copy and paste from the website:

The reservation allows the visitor to be part of a Vatican Group Tour conducted by an official Vatican Tour Guide. After clearing security, the meeting point will be at the "Guided Tours" booth, which is located straight ahead up the small staircase on the left.

Let's say you have a 10:30 am tour slot. You have to clear security before going to the guided tours booth. How are you supposed to guess what time to show up to get in the security line? From reports I've seen, it sounds like the line could take hours. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM

There is a separate, much shorter line (or no line at all) for those with pre-booked tickets. Then you have to go through security, but shouldn't take long. So for a 10.30 am tour, I'd get to the museum entrance around 10 am (to allow for comfort break, using cloakroom etc).
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
As above, 10 - 15 minutes should do it. We arrived with 10 minutes for a 2pm & despite the zoo, it was quick. Through security head up the stairs - slightly to the left - where you see the Tour signs. Then you amble to the right by the entrance where you should see staff handing out the headsets.

For what it's worth, we left our group after 1/2 hr. Too many people & too many groups to see anything.

Ian
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM

I did the group thing too! Highly recommend it

Though it was crowded, I stayed with the group, but here is the trick that many do not do:

The tour ended at the entrance of the Sistine Chapel. After the Sistine Chapel, you have two options: exit or return to the museum.

I went back to the Museum and enjoyed it at my own pace. Of course, while the tour was taking place, I tried to remember the sites that perked my interest and went back there again (after Sistine Chapel) to thoroughly take it all in again. For example, tapestry perked my interest. Needlessly, it was hard to remember where it was, but I asked the security guards and they pointed me in the right direction.

I truly find that staying with the tour guide really helped with understanding the important items in the museum.

Oh, another vital information: I think my tour was at 2pm. We were official done around 3-4pm? (Don't quote me on the exact time, but I do remember distinctively that when I went back by myself, most of the hallways/exhibits were quieter/if not empty of people) By that time, few people remained in the museum, hence, when I went back independently, it was much quiet and approachable.

Btw, the security guards (guarding each exhibit) are friendly and cute
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everybody, thanks for the responses!!
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
>After the Sistine Chapel, you have two options: exit or return to the museum.

This is the point that I lost my wife. In the massive crowd we got separated. She went one way - left door - back through the museum. I went the other - right door (which was the one we were aiming for) - out to San Pietro. We both waited outside for an hour & then both made our way back to the hotel individually. So . . . ALWAYS have a meeting point that both of you understand!

Ian
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 09:14 AM

We enjoyed the Vatican's tour. Good price, good guide. (Not too crowded, because we were there in early May.)

Are you aware of the back exit into St. Peter's, as mentioned above? You can go from the Sistine Chapel directly to St. Peter's, without going outside and waiting in line again. So plan your Vatican day to do the museum tour first, St. Peter's second.

From the Chapel, you can exit on the back right side, and stay within the Vatican to walk directly to St. Peter's. It's a great shortcut.

Have fun there. It is amazing. You definitely need a guide, because there's so much there. Even the statues that ring the square have a story.