Vatican best time to visit museums?

Jul 8th, 2001, 04:56 AM
sima

Vatican best time to visit museums?

Hello All,

I would like to know, what is the best time to visit the Vatican museums? (the time of day when the lines are short)

Also, where do I buy tickets for the museums?

Thanks in advance,
Sima

Jul 8th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Ed

What's worked best for us consistently and for other travelers as well is to get in line about 45-30 minutes before opening time. (Open at 0845). Lines will move quickly at opening time and the museums won't be crowded.

You'll find reports from others of turning up in the afternoon with no line at all, but that's quite inconsistent, and doesn't deal with the usually crowded museums.

Mondays usually more busy than other weekdays due closed on Sundays except the last in the month when the visit is free ... a good day to avoid for sure.

Purchase tickets at the museum only.

twenj

Jul 8th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Howard

On addition to Ed's excellent advice: Avoid Saturday mornings. The lines are usually longer.

Jul 8th, 2001, 09:41 AM
jane

In the afternoon around 1:00.

Jul 8th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Mike Roads

This is not exactly what you asked, but it may be important. Many Italian museums including the Vatican Museums will be closed without good notice. We almost had it happen to us; I called the Vatican specifically and found there was a "holiday" I didn't know about. Call ahead or even better, go to the most important sites early in your visit. Then if there is a problem, you can still catch it another day. Don't miss the Vatican Museums!

Jul 9th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Bob

Hi, Sima!

My wife and I last month went to a Papal Audience on Wed morning. We didn't stay for the entire audience as it was so hot. About 11:45 we headed over to the Vatican Museums and had a 3 minute wait to get in!

I had read on the forum that a good time to go to the museums is when the Pope has an audience as so many people go there to see him. So you may want to try what we did.

Hope this helps.

Bob