VAT tax refund

May 19th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Kathy

VAT tax refund

I returned from Italy in mid March and mailed in the forms for my VAT refund to be credited to my visa account. I still have not gotten credit for this. Can anyone tell my how long this takes? Thanks

May 19th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Surlok

Sometimes a month, sometimes more, but you'll get the refunds, don't worry.

May 19th, 2001, 10:57 PM
Kay

Kathy,
It took us 6 months to get our VAT refund from the UK and 2 months to get one from Canada. Italy being Italy, I'd just wait and hopefully it will turn up one day and give you a nice surprise!
Kay

May 20th, 2001, 04:19 PM
e

Kathy: Thank you for asking the VAT question. I was in Ireland and England in Dec. 2000. I received my money from Ireland in six weeks but I still have not received my money from England.
5 Months. Well atleast there is still a chance.

May 20th, 2001, 05:12 PM
anrea

I now always get my VAT refund cash in dollars when I am leaving Europe.Two years ago I never did get the money credited back to me and did not like the idea that my credit card number was floating around somw desk in France!It helped to pass the time and this systeem worked for me in Madrid and Rome

May 20th, 2001, 06:19 PM
mikey

Andrea,

It depends on the vat refund company you use, I think only one of the three gives the option of cash back (Global Refund -- Tax Back and the other don't). The problem is not all stores use global refund (at least in certain countries)

May 21st, 2001, 12:27 PM
taxrefund

As long as the form says Global Refund on it, you can fax your information so that it can be traced. Please make sure you have your name, phone/fax number, and address on your cover page.
Fax number is 845-348-1549.

Hope this helps. If you want more information just let me know.

May 21st, 2001, 05:07 PM
Kathy Raines

Taxrefund: Thanks for the information, but I mailed the form in the week after I returned. I guess I will wait this out and let everyone know what happens! Kathy

May 22nd, 2001, 05:11 AM
taxrefund

Kathy,

Your form can still be traced even though you sent it in. As long as you can provide some information store name, your name, address, country where purchases were made, etc, your refund can still be traced. Then at least you can know what the status is, or if there is a problem with it (such as missing customs stamp). It is completely up to you, but you do have the resources to find out where your refund it.

May 22nd, 2001, 09:22 AM
Kathy

Taxrefund:

Thanks for all of your help. How do I go about tracing the form that I sent in? Is there a web page or a phone number? Thank you again.

May 22nd, 2001, 02:08 PM
taxrefund

Global Refund's toll free number is 800-566-9828. Just leave a message.

May 22nd, 2001, 04:57 PM
Kathy

Taxrefund: I am so curious. Do you work for Global Refund?

May 23rd, 2001, 07:12 AM
cachi

May 24th, 2001, 05:20 AM
taxrefund

Kathy,

Yes, I do. I hesitate to reply to any messages on this board for fear of being beaten up, but you seem to need help. I am not trying to sell anything to anyone and most questions about VAT are answered well by Elvira and others. I hope this doesn't ruffle anyone's feathers.

May 24th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Monica

Well taxrefund, I'm glad you did respond here. I have not received my refund from my trip to Paris in October. I will have to get my copy of the refund sheet and fax it to be traced. Also just returned from Greece, so will wait a while before I persue tracing that one.