Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Varenna, Hotel Milano or Albergo Olivedo?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:27 AM
LN

I am able to book either of these hotels for our dates in September. We area family of two adults and three children. Which hotel might be better suited for a family. The prices are comparable so I guess I am asking which provides more bang for my buck.
Regards,
Laurie

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:51 AM
GAC

I think the Olivedo, which is 10 yards from the ferry landing. It is an old-fashioned hotel (only half the 19 rooms have en-suite bathrooms, but most of them face out over the lake). You can also take your meals there (Milano is strictly bed and breakfast). Olivedo is noiser and less private than the Milano, which is much more romantic, secluded and geared towards couples. Olivedo is probably more practical and gives slightly better value, but the Milano is the better hotel.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Joe

I would go with Milano; quieter, better views, more charming and you may want to dine around a little at, e.g., Bellagio. Your children will enjoy the waterfront at Bellagio. The little Pizzaria on the Piazza San Giorgio where you will likely park if your driving is fun for lunch or a light dinner; outdoor seating. Amelia, the proprietress at Milano, is good with restaurant and touring recommendations. Spend some time down at the water's edge at night. Gelato is superb. Evening views are great. Good people watching. We traveled with three daughters in earlier years. Seldom get togeter now without some reference to those trips. Have a ball.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 01:40 PM
GAC

Margo: what is the distance (in yards or metres) from the train station to the Hotel Olivedo?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Ken

I'm not Margo, but the Olivedo is probably 150 yards down the hill from the train station. It's an easy walk. I've never stayed at the Milano, but we liked the Olivedo. The rooms are comfortable and clean, if not terribly fancy, the food is simple but quite good, it's a great location, and Laura, the proprietor is very nice and quite a trip. I would think it would be a very family-friendly place too.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Betsy

OLIVEDO! The Milano is nicer, Bellagio is bigger, but you'd be hard pressed to find a hotelier quite like Laura. One of my all time favorite memories of travel! The Olivedo is old. There are beautiful antiques. The floors squeak, the patio will have people until about 11:30. But you'll no doubt be up high where the larger rooms are. Laura will take care of your family. She will set a table outside specifically for your brood and will scold any who try to sit there, (she picks tables for all and I don't know, it makes me feel loved!). her food is delicious and the price for a family for half board can't be beat. The setting is absolutely beautiful and after dinner you can walk along the cliff hugging sidewalk,(with rail) to get gelato. If you want busy you can easily take a ferry to Bellagio for a day, But at the end of the day, when your children are tired and you just want to relax, it is a "Ciao!" from Laura, the Olivedo and its setting that you'll be grateful for. Oh and the morning coffee is fabulous. You can no doubt tell it is one of my favorite places in the world and I can't wait to get back!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:51 PM
marvin the hippo

would anyone have an email address or website for these two places? thank you.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:58 PM
chris

I second the last reply. We stayed at the Albergo Olivedo this time last year. It was our first city in Italy to stay in on a three week trip and in retrospect it was probably one of my favorites. We barely got off the little train in the pitch black (We couldn't see the sign for Varenna) then just headed down toward the lake and hoped we see the hotel. Sure enough there it was, not more then a 5 min walk. It was 8PM at night and we had been traveling since 7AM that morning when we had caught the TGV in Paris. I had booked it over the internet and was starting to panic as we were in the middle of nowhere, what if they had no record of our reservation...we walked in and to the left there was a old fashion dining room with linen and crystal, people eating and Laura came out and said, "Oh you must be the Rodighieros, we have been waiting for you" It was love at first sight. After looking at our room, the top floor left corner, two windows looking out over lake como and the swiss alps covered in snow, funky antique furniture, a coffin tub...we were sitting in the dining room with the casa vino rossa and in heaven.....Definately the Olivedo!!!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:00 PM
LN

Thank you all for your replies. I am leaning towards the Olivedo although the fact that they offer halfboard only means that we will have to be back in Varenna for dinner but I hear that the restaurant at Olivedo is wonderful and we will most likely want to be back at our hotel by dinner. Mom and dad will be tired, I'm sure that the kids will still be keen to go! Noise would be my biggest concern as we live in a rural community. Besides the coyotes howling the night is silent here on the homestead. Some have mentioned that the Milano is quieter, does this mean that the Olivedo is noisy day and night or just during the daytime hours?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Sally

We liked the Olivedo very much, and it honestly did not seem noisy to us. We stayed in the 2nd floor front left room with two balconies. The walk along the lakeside into Varenna is lovely. Also I think you will appreciate being close to the ferry if you have children. It is very easy to take the ferry to Bellagio, etc.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:13 PM
ttt

to the top

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:19 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Ronda

The Olivedo is noisey simply because the ferry landing is practically in front of the hotel. Runs at least until 11 p.m. if not later. Earplugs came in handy here. My teen girls loved the place - old, charming, lumpy beds, but nice bathrooms. GREAT view. It was just what they expected a village in Italy to be. They still talk about it.

Dinner was OK, not a gourmet meal, so if you miss it, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal. The choices are the same every night but enough choices that you can choose something different each time.