Varenna, Bellagio or Bellano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family of 3 (with a 4 year old) traveling to Lake Como for 3 nights.
Leaning towards staying in Varenna because of its proximity to the train station however also curious about staying in Bellano because I found an incredible airbnb with an absolute surreal view within the budget we have for accommodations. Is it easy to get a taxi in the area to get to Bellano? Would it be worth staying there with our limited time there?
If we stayed in Bellano, how is the food scene there?
What about the food scene in Varenna vs. Bellagio?
(Good food for us = pasta + pizza lol)

Last edited by viranpooja; Feb 20th, 2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 05:05 PM

The ferry ride between the two towns is easy and frequent. Try the pizzoccheri alla Valtellina, it is a pasta dish made with buckwheat, it is delicious!
It is a local dish.

Old Feb 21st, 2022, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't pick Bellano, just because of the transportation issues. If you're just planning to arrive and stay at the B&B, it wouldn't matter. But if you're hoping to explore other places, you'd be limited by timetables. Bellano has infrequent ferry service on the main north-south route but is not included in the mid-lake shuttle. There is bus service (mostly mid-day) between Bellano and Varenna, but it is less frequent than the train (which has service both earlier and later).

Bus: https://www.leccotrasporti.it/percor.../linea-d21.pdf

I don't recall seeing many taxis in this area of the lake.

Bellagio is bigger than Varenna, so there are more dining options in Bellagio. Look at the apartments offered by La Limonera in Bellagio:

https://www.residencelalimonera.com/
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean.
We do plan to relax in our AirBnb if we have an awesome view but not the entire day. Maybe start a late morning and maybe get back early in the evenings after dinner. I am sure we will be out and about in Bellagio/Menaggio/Varenna most of the time though.
Is the train service reliable ?
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Train service and ferry service are reliable, but you need to study the timetables for both to understand what's possible and how long it would take. If your lodging in Bellano is not near the ferry dock and/or the train station, consider how convenient the walk would be esp. if the B&B is up on a hill.