Search

Vaporetto pass

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Ann

Vaporetto pass

I have 2 questions regarding my visit to Venice in 2 weeks:<BR><BR>1. Would it be a good idea for my husband and I to buy a 3-day pass for the vaporetto if we are there for 3 days? We are in excellent physical shape and usually do a lot of walking on our vacations. Does anyone know about how much they cost?<BR><BR>2. Is it a good idea to take an organized tour of Venice or is it small enough to tackle on our own?<BR><BR>Thank you.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Patrick

According to my records we paid 35,000 lira each for a three day pass two years ago -- so I suppose it is similar -- about $17.00. We bought ours on arrival at the train station and took the vaporetto to our hotel at Rialto as the stop was right in front of our hotel. We took trips on it to Murano, Burano, Lido, and sometimes when we were just too tired to walk (especially at night) hopped on it as pure entertainment as much as saving our feet. I found it a real bargain.<BR>Incidentally if you are there three nights and you buy your pass, say at 11 on Monday, it is actually good into the fourth day -- Thursday until 11 also. In other words, it isn't simply for three days, but for three 24 hours periods which can span four days.<BR><BR>In regards to the tour, I can't answer. I'm sure the right guide could show and teach you much, but we always enjoy doing our own thing with a good guide book.<BR><BR>And by the way, don't worry about getting lost in Venice. My theory is if you haven't gotten lost, you must not have experienced Venice -- it's part of the fun.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Capo

Hi Ann. Were were in Venice for seven days this past April and bought a seven day vaporetto pass. I don't recall how much it was or what individual vaporetto tickets were but I think we used it enough to more than get our money's worth. <BR><BR>We did a lot of walking but, even so, there were many times the vaporetto came in very handy.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:44 AM
elaine

Ann<BR>It's not a huge amount of money either way. I think a 3-day vap. pass break-even point is six vaporetto rides, which is only two per day.If you feel you will take at least that many, get the pass.<BR><BR>I do a tremendous amount of walking while traveling. Still, there's something to be said for taking the vaporetto to the fartherst point you want to get to on that day, and making your way back at your leisure. That ride, plus one or two going to and from dinner, may make the pass worth it for you.<BR><BR>I have a file on Venice that may be useful; if you'd like to see it, email me

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Tom

In May, the pass was about 18 Euro, if you purchase trips separately, they are 3.10 Euro each. Therefore, you can figure that a pass pays for itself in 6 trips. We intended to get the pass, but walked much more than expected. We also used the traghettos (sp?) a few times to cross the canal. These were about 50 cents and good shortcuts. <BR><BR>Walking in Venice is wonderful. As for taking a tour, my first thought is how narrow many of the streets and bridges are, and I can't imagine we would have enjoyed trying to keep up with a large group or keeping to a planned schedule. Maybe a small group or you, your husband and a guide would be fun and informative. It's certainly doable on your own, especially if you're both walkers.<BR><BR>Patrick is right about getting lost, though. Make sure you get off the beaten path and away from the crowded areas and explore. It's a different world away from San Marco, Rialto Bridge, etc. Have fun!<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Sue

We just got back from Venice. We bought the pass and used the water bus for both day and night tours around the island, through the Grand Canal, and to Murano to see glass blowing. It was around $18 Euro and a great deal.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:16 AM
karen

I would definitely recommend buying the 3 day Vaporetto pass as it can be used for trips out to Murano and Burano (almost an hour's journey each way)as well as up and down the Grand Canal. Try to take a ride up the Grand Canal at night as the sight of Salute all lit up is breathtaking! Have a great holiday - it's a wonderful place.