Vaporetti route question

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:06 AM
Ken

Vaporetti route question

I didn't think I was thick headed or anything, until I looked at the ACTV web site. I am trying to figure out how to get from Ferrovia (train station) to Zattere. Looks like any one of several lines will take me there. Hotel suggests #82. Are there diffferent directions of the vaporetti? Several of the maps I have consulted make it appear at tho the #82 goes clock wise and counter clockwise, but I cant tell. Is there a better site for vaporetti?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:23 AM
Surlok

The Ca Pisani hotel in Dorsoruro, has a directions page that shall give you a pretty accurate idea of the suitable vaporetti from Santa Lucia to Zattere. Check it out:<BR><BR>http://www.capisanihotel.it/english/standard/loc3.htm

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:53 AM
elaine

If your hotel suggests #82 I would believe them, they give out this information every day. According to Fodor's guide to Venice, the #82 route is San Zaccaria to Giudecca Island, Zattere, Piazzale Roma, train station, Rialto, back to San Zaccaria and then out to the Lido. When you board just mention that you are going to Zattere.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:38 AM
Kavey

Just got back today, vaporetti route 82 does indeed go both directions, though not all routes do.<BR>We also found some new routes (seasonal ones) which were not on our map at all (3,4,5) so it would be worth stopping at a tourist centre and asking for a new ACTV route map as soon as you are able to.<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:58 PM
dean

Most all the routes do go in both directions. The main exceptions are 41/42, I believe, which are the same route in opposite directions. Go figure.<BR><BR>The way to make sure you are getting on the direction you want is to look at the route maps int he boarding areas. Your stop will be indicated and then there is an arrow with the list of stops in that direction. When the boat arrives, you just need to go in the direction of the sign with your desired stop on it. Many stops only have one boarding area and some have 2. FOr those, you need to go back on shore and then get onto the right loading area.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:51 PM
Wayne

Signs are at all vaporetto stops and are easy to interpret even if you read no Italian. There are clear diagrams of where each line goes, including which direction. As already mentioned, those same diagrams are basically repeated inside each vaporetto. And yes, follow the recommendation of your hotel. Once there, you'll be able to figure out the water bus routes very easily. Buy a ticket for the amount of days you'll be using it, and then you won't have to bother with a ticket every time you go somewhere.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:57 PM
Capo

I have a question as well. We'll likely be taking the vaporetto (I forget the name of it) from Marco Polo airport to San Marco. From San Marco, is there a vaporetto that goes to the Stazione Marittima, or somewhere nearby on the Zattere, as the Stazione Marittima is very close to our locanda. Thanks!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:28 PM
kavey

Capo<BR><BR>The Alilaguna takes you from the airport directly to the S Marco vaporetti stop.<BR><BR>From there you can take the 82 to the stop called Zattere, though the next stop, called S. Basilio looks to be right next to the Stazione Marittima.<BR><BR>The Alilaguna needs a seperate ticket, 9.81 Euros per person. It takes about an bour and 10 minutes to S Marco.<BR><BR>For the vaporetti it's best to buy a pass for however many days best suits you, they are available in 24 hour, 3 day or 7 day varieties. The 7 day pass is only 30 Euros per person and we used it a huge amount, as it also covers the waterbuses up to Murano, Burano and Torcello.<BR><BR>The 82 leaves from the same vaporetti stop at S Marco as the Alilaguna comes into.<BR><BR>I think this leg of the journey will be somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes (we did it several times but we didn't really pay much attention to the time).<BR><BR>We found an incredible restaurant in the Dorsoduro area, remind me to tell you about it, their walnut bread and olive bread were fabulous and we enjoyed pasta with rabbit and spring onion as well as pasta with cauliflower and goose foie gras. Yum!<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:41 PM
Capo

Thanks, Kavey; I appreciate it. #82 it is! Since we're going to be there for seven days we'll likely buy the 7 day pass; it sounds like a very good value. Do you know if the Alilaguna is included in the pass, if we were to buy one at the airport? (or may the passes aren't even sold at the airport.)

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:19 PM
dean

The alilaguna is a separate ticket. The passses are sold at any vaporetto stop so ust wait till you get to San Marco and are ready to board your next Vaporetto

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:26 PM
kavey

Capo<BR><BR>As above, alilaguna line is the only one not covered in the vaporetti pass.<BR><BR>It costs 9.81 Euros per person each way, you buy tickets into S Marco in the airport building itself, cash only.<BR><BR>Return tickets you can buy just before getting on the alilaguna back to the airport at S Marco.<BR><BR>The vaporetti pass it 30.99 Euros for 7 days and covers all Venice lines plus lines to the islands and lido. It also includes the traghettos should you want to use them, these are the older gondolas which are used to cross the grand canal in areas where there is not a bridge right there.<BR><BR>A single trip on the vaporetti is around 3 Euros so as long as you do more than 10 individual journeys you are saving. Plus its sooo much easier to just have the ticket rather than having to queue for individual tickets or buy on board.<BR><BR>Incidentally only once during the whole time did any inspectors actually ask to see the pass so it was very convenient just having it in my purse pocket but not often having to get it out.<BR><BR>Make sure whichever map you use has the vaporetti lines and stops well marked, we used a fleximap from Insight.<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR><BR>Kavey<BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:59 AM
isabell

Will be in Venice with family of four for two and a half days (3 nights). Is there a pass for less than a week. We want to use the vaporetti quite a bit but at 3 euros per person per trip that could add up. Any suggestions.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:21 AM
ppp

Capo, the Alilaguna RED LINE boat follows from San Marco to Stazzione Maritima in the Zattere. There´s no need to switch boats in San Marco. Boats depart at the hour + 10 minutes. It would cost you a bit more, though (about 3 Euros). Of course, if you´re ready to catch the boat at the hour + 40min, it may be faster to take the BLUE LINE and switch in San Marco. See<BR>http://www.alilaguna.com/<BR>http://www.venicelink.net/ali/orario.asp

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:32 AM
kavey

ppp I hadnt realised there were two alilaguna routes, thank you. Perhaps because we were headed for S Marco anyway it didn't matter.<BR><BR>Isabell, I know there was a family ticket for vaporetti but since it wasn't relevant for us we didnt look up prices etc. It might be worth it for you to check up on.<BR><BR>The 3 day pass for vaporetti I think was around 18 or 20 Euros per person. Again I didnt get an exact price for this.<BR><BR>One thing which has been made clear by other postings here on Fodors is not to worry about getting the Venice Card. There are, I understand, two variants, one which includes museum entries and public toilets, the other which adds on transport. These are expensive and not worth it.<BR><BR>Vaporetti passes purchased directly are cheaper and public toilets are only 50 centimes anyway and its not like you would probably use them often, since one tends to make use of facilities when stopping for coffee, lunch or dinner.<BR><BR>Kavey