Vacation tips for a young couple-first trip to Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, my boyfriend and I are flying into Dublin March 20th. We will spend 1 week with his parents (flying in from the US) who have already picked a great castle/hotel. I'm looking for any advice for the 2nd week. He doesn't want to plan anything, we like to feel free. I do know that having a few good ideas always helps. We don't even know where we want to go after Dublin. We are both 25 and are looking forward to pubs, music, and have to hit the Jameson Whiskey tour. We also like the history and beauty of the country. From what I've read here we should pick a town to use as a home base and do day trips from there. Any great suggestions? I think we will be renting a car to get where we want to go.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:52 AM

I would advise you to contact the irish tourist board & get a free copy of their B&B listings.
You could just drive where you please & pick a town to stay in each night, it won't be difficult to get a double room at this time of year
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I forgot to ask for one specific bit of advice...I would love to take in a play, I heard Dublin's good for it. Any suggestions there?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM

Given the time of year, your ages, etc... Galway, Ennis and Westport immediately come to mind. More off-the-beaten path, Clonakilty, Cork city and, yes, even though it IS touristy, Killarney.

Bob
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:29 AM

http://www.eventguide.ie/ should tell all thats happening. If you can get tickets Ralf Fiennes is in the Healer at the gate theatre and frineds who have seen i6t say its really good.