Utrecht Centraal - 4 min to change train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pre-purchased train tickets from Cologne (Germany) to Delft (The Netherlands) this May. The first segment will be on an ICE from Cologne to Utrecht Centraal, which is straight forward.

In Utrecht Centraal I have 4-min to change to an IC train to Den Haag Centraal. From there I change to another IC train to Delft.

My question is, if I were to miss the 4-min connection at Utrecht Centraal, am I allowed to use the same ticket to ride the next IC train from Utrecht Centraal -> Rotterdam -> Delft?

I read that IC trains are not reserved, so if I missed one I can just take the next train. But I do not know if I must stick with trains to Delft with a change at Den Haag Centraal.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Change that to:
"I read that IC trains in Holland are not reserved, therefore if I missed one I can just take the next train."
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 06:31 AM

You can get any train to Delft at Utrecht.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 06:34 AM

I'm actually surprised it doesn't have you change trains in Amsterdam, but in any case any train to Delft from Utrecht will do.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you hetismij for your quick response, that is nice to hear.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 07:56 AM

Via Den Haag is quicker. Via Amsterdam is a long layover (don't ask me how I know this, hahaha)

At Den Haag, make sure you take a train that actually stops at Delft. Not all trains do. Sprinters (all station trains) always stop there, but the train that has Venlo as its destination doesn't.

From Utrecht, trains to Den Haag are about 20 minutes apart, so if you miss that one connection there will soon be another. (4 minutes is a bit marginal, and if there is any delay on you ICE you'll miss your train to The Hague). As hetismij wrote: you can just get on. No problem.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 08:17 AM

You can also take the Intercity to Rotterdam and change there for an Intercity of Sprinter for Den Haag Centraal.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 08:27 AM

tonfromleiden, from experience I can say: via The Hague is faster.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 09:24 AM

I just wanted to inform the OP that if a train to Rotterdam is more convenient, he shouldn't hesitate to take it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll take a train heading either Den Haag or Rotterdam, whichever comes first.

By the way, what is a "Sprinter"?
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 10:34 PM

tonfromleiden that makes for some very advanced calculation in Gouda, LOL.

Reading54: Sprinters are all station trains: they're white with blue/yellow doors, as opposed to intercity service trains that are yellow with blue doors.

Also, wherever you end up, in The Hague or in Rotterdam, you'll have to change to Delft. If you have a smartphone with a data connection you can download the 9292 app, or, on trains and even better, the Trein2 app. Trein2 is best, because it'll allow you to easily plan journeys on the fly and in many ways it's better than the "official" NS Reisplanner app.

So, when you're on the ICE and you notice you're running late getting into Utrecht, you can already plan a new journey while on the train. That will contain the decision whether to go to Rotterdam or The Hague, or even to continue on to Amsterdam (you never know). Welcome to Advanced Dutch Train Journey Planning. It's because we've got such an insanely dense train network.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I am all set with this route now. I'll ask a different Netherlands' train question in a new thread when my travel date draws closer.

In another word, a Sprinter is a regional train. Is that right?
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 07:29 AM

If you don't want multiple changes there is, according to www.NSinternational.nl a direct train from Amsterdam CS to Delft. NS won't care whether you get off in Utrecht or stay on the ICE to Amsterdam CS to get Delft.