Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Using two different airlines to get to Athens

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:44 AM
antonia

We will be flying from Albany, NY to Newark on Continental. Then from Newark via Paris (CDG) to Athens on Air France.
Do we have to check our bags three times? Once in Albany then in Newark and finally in Paris? What about in Paris if we continue to Athens from CDG on Air France. Do we go through immigration and custom in CDG?
What about on the way back? Do we go through immigration, customs, and luaggage check in Athens, Greece and Newark?
I read some posts here that mention it is possible to check all the way through. But does it apply if using two different airlines?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 11:46 AM
ppp

I'd say you'll check your luggage through to Athens. No immigration control and custom in CDG, both ways. Your luggage should to be tagged through to Albany but there is Immigration/customs control in Newark on your return. You just deliver your luggage after customs (most probably directly to a belt).
Well, that's in theory (regarding Newark)! I've got no idea on what's going on recently. Last time I entered the US from Europe in Newark (to Dayton on another airline) was a long time ago.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:13 PM
Sue

I think your get your luggage in CDG (assuming you're continuing on a different plane?), take it thru immigration and customs, then they send it on to Athens, so you're not really checking it again. Once you get in EU, then you don't have to show passports again to cross borders, etc.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:51 PM
Andre

Antonia:

On the way over:
You MIGHT have to recheck your bags at Newark, although I very much doubt it: While Continental and AF have recently stopped codesharing, they still share the same terminal at Newark and I imagine they have a luggage transfer agreement.
You will NOT need to pickup/recheck your bags at CDG - they will be tagged with a plain white label and thus easily identifiable to Athens customs officials as having originated outside the EU (intra-EU luggage has tags with green stripes). As Greece is part of the Schengen Agreement countries, you will clear immigration at CDG however.

On your return flight:
You will have to show your passport at CDG (last stop in EU/Schengen).
You will have to clear immigration and pick your luggage up in Newark, clear customs and then recheck it (there are generally counters right after customs).

Have a nice trip - hope your luggage makes it on the same flights as you...

Andre

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:34 PM
antonia

Thank you for some great information. It is never easy for a first time traveler