Reload this Page >

Using the Heathrow Express train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 03:01 PM
Teddie

We'll be arriving at Heathrow on a Friday at 8:00 PM. Time and comfort-wise, are we better off taking the Heathrow Express to get to our Bayswater hotel, or using a car service or cab? Is the Heathrow express a hassle for managing luggage? Thanks for any help!

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 05:43 PM
JOdy

depends on how much luggage you have! we each have a rolling bag and a carryon, even though we are in our 60"s we've had no problems, take the train then a taxi, it's a short walk but after 8 or 9 hours on a plane it feels good. If there are more than 2 of you a taxi all the way may be more economical.<BR><BR>we also had a problem on our last departure..Paddington to heathrow. I have always praised the heathrow express service, we could check in our bags at station and take the train unencumbered! This trip, a month ago, I called american airlines to make sure our flight was still on..yes she answered,, check in at paddington ..yes again from the AA person. so taxi to Paddington, go to airline checkin...American no longer has check in.. take bags to train, walk 10 min at heathrow, wait in line 40 minutes to checkin and all because we were given wrong info! We could have taken taxi and been dropped of at the door for about 10 pounds more! So whatever you do, if you are planning on checking your bags at Paddington, check ahead!!!

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:43 AM
Pat

Last June, we were arriving at night as you are and we opted to have a car pick us up. Since there were four of us, the cost wasn't much more than taxi or Heathrow Express/taxi combo and we didn't have to deal with toting luggage. <BR><BR>Heathrow Express was great for our return trip. If you can check your luggage at Paddington, it's a real convenience.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 08:58 AM
Lori

I'd absolutely never take a train (Heathrow Express or Tube) with luggage, it is just not worth the hassle. Use a driver pick up service. We've used www.london-transfers.com (Ray Skinner) several times and were very pleased. I've recommended this company a number of times and everyone had good luck with them. By the time you pay for the Heathrow Express & then a cab you might as well have a pickup service meet you.<BR>At 8 p.m. the traffic won't be bad either so it won't be a long ride. No doubt you will have some jetlag, schlepping luggage around Heathrow, up and down escalators, etc. and again at Paddington is no way to start a trip in my estimation.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:25 AM
Nancy

Given a choice I would take a car to/from Heathrow. Taking luggage (at least more than one piece) on the train is a nightmare!

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:53 AM
ron

Oops, I think it’s time for a reality check here. Lori and Nancy have every right to prefer a mini cab service to the Heathrow Express, but to characterize taking luggage onto the Heathrow Express as a hassle or nightmare is ludicrous. Anyone capable of getting their luggage from their home to the airport and from the luggage carousel at Heathrow to the arrivals lounge, is capable of getting to and onto the Heathrow Express without distress or discomfort.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:07 AM
joe

Heathrow Express is easy with luggage. There are frequent departures so there is no rush to board. I'm not quite fifty and I travel light, I take the tube.It's cheap and puts me within a five minute walk to my hotel.Plus no worries about traffic.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 12:44 PM
elvira

I usually have just a carryon and small tote - alone, the Heathrow Express is fine. From Paddington, I can catch the underground to my hotel.<BR><BR>I have dealt with large suitcases from Heathrow, and it can be a nightmare on the Express - not on/off the Express, but from there on/off underground trains, more so if I have to change lines.<BR><BR>If there are two or more of you, it's not much more expensive to take a car or cab - DIRECTLY to your hotel - and at 8pm? Who wants to deal with Friday night crowds on the trains?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 03:09 PM
ger

Teddie:<BR><BR>Agree with above posters ... Express is great with luggage but London Underground with luggage is a nightmare (did it once never again!). Would not recommend a "black cab" from airport as there are cheaper ways of doing it.<BR><BR>Consider:<BR><BR>1. Taking the express to Paddington and a taxi from there to hotel<BR>2. Hotel-link (about 15 GBP per person to the hotel (http://www.hotelink.co.uk/)<BR>3. Private limo service (should be about 40 GBP)<BR><BR>Regards ... Ger<BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 03:29 PM
Teddie

Thanks, everyone, for your responses..I've just started planning this trip and have already received lots of good information !

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 11:02 AM
jpm

It all has to do with the amount of luggage you have. My nephew and I took the tube from Heathrow. We each had a backpack and a small rolling suitcase - we had no problems. Plus it only cost about &pound;5 for both of us. <BR><BR>Saying that, if I had several pieces of luggage I would use one of the hotel transfer services.<BR><BR>Ok, so this may not be helpful at all. But have fun!<BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Julie

This has always been the debate between me and my fellow London travelers. I like taking the tube because once in the city I can transfer to get right near my hotel easily. And its cheap! Unless you arrive during rush hour on a week day and you have luggage...then its not worth the hassel.